Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo

at the minute I have a six inch tektro mechanical on my judy tt forks. Would i be able to put a seven or an eight inch avid mechanical on this same mount.

Thanks, also could you please explain to me what all this international standard is. One size fits all???? Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
if you need 8" rotor worth of stopping power, you need a new fork. In fact, that fork is probably pretty dangerous to be doing anything that requires actual stopping power.

dont even think of putting anything bigger. In fact, i would spend your $$$ on a new fork.
 

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good job. just the guy i was after. yeah i knew i would get answer.

I'm not that dumb, i have no intention of actually putting them on. i was just wondering about all the diff sizes and if it would work. so would it?? or do u need a fork that can take 8 inch rotors.




8 inch on judys hehehe :D

thanks zedro, if only more ppl had your brain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
kelesis said:
i was just wondering about all the diff sizes and if it would work. so would it?? or do u need a fork that can take 8 inch rotors.
its really all about the adaptors, and what axle spacing is being used (9mmqr/100mm....or 20mm/110mm) for the IS standard, so for a Hayes system there are 4 different adaptors for 2 rotor sizes (well, 5 if you count the 6" to 8" adaptor). Other brakes will have whatever they're limited to as far as caliper design and whatnot.

now theres a new DH IS standard comming out which will pretty much limit you to larger rotor sizes, but as far as standard IS, you can always go bigger if you can get the proper kit (or make one).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Ya know! I had a friend who put a 8" rotor on his Judy TT. I warned him before doing so, suggesting that that much torque could ruin his fork. Yet, nothing bad ever happened to it in the 2 months or so of him riding it.
 

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol that would kinda be overkill. 2 foot drop on my lil judys.....how fst can i possibly be going.

nah like i said i was just wondering about the sizes for 8 inch roters on forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Prechrysler said:
Ya know! I had a friend who put a 8" rotor on his Judy TT. I warned him before doing so, suggesting that that much torque could ruin his fork. Yet, nothing bad ever happened to it in the 2 months or so of him riding it.
wow really thats fantastic...

i also put a 5" fork on my xc ATX970, the one with the squeezable tubes, rode it like a downhill bike and nothing happenend to it either; surely i was expecting an explosion the second they met!

i also never drive with a seatbelt, and nothings happenend to me either. I guess we dont really need seatbelts either!
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
You're probably pretty smooth.

zedro said:
wow really thats fantastic...

i also put a 5" fork on my xc ATX970, the one with the squeezable tubes, rode it like a downhill bike and nothing happenend to it either; surely i was expecting an explosion the second they met!

i also never drive with a seatbelt, and nothings happenend to me either. I guess we dont really need seatbelts either!
C'mon...you're an engineer type. You actually think about the stuff you're riding on and how the bike will react to it. You could probably get away with a lot of aggressive riding on sub-par equipment. Meatheads and hammerheads (as we refer to them at the bike shop) might sometimes be capable of snapping a Super T on a curb jump. You know of what I'm referring to.
 
G

·
wait a minute...

Acually, i think ( i may be wrong) that tektro disc brakes, have no adapter, meaning they bolt directly to the fork mounts, i think even if you got a new fork, an 8 inch rotor wouldent work.., unless tektro makes special adapters for this.
 

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah my wee tektro brakes do bolt directly onto the forks.


very clever of you to know such little things.

butttttt

if i was gonna upgrade my discs i would get avid mechanicals. cant beat em
 
G

·
kelesis said:
yeah my wee tektro brakes do bolt directly onto the forks.

very clever of you to know such little things.

butttttt

if i was gonna upgrade my discs i would get avid mechanicals. cant beat em
avid mechs are nice, so are hayes mx2 hd, I have mine hooked up to funn torque twister brake levers, and the stopping power is great!
 

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea.

well thing is my forks are judy tt and although they are quite nasty i'm really just using them to thier limits and no more. Which isnt very much. So if i'm really only getting the most from judy tt thats shows how little my riding is as far as speed and experience and drops all go.

As for me i get enough stopping out of 6 inch tektros to do a stoppie (endo) any time i feel like. which is often enough. lol
 
G

·
kelesis said:
yea.

well thing is my forks are judy tt and although they are quite nasty i'm really just using them to thier limits and no more. Which isnt very much. So if i'm really only getting the most from judy tt thats shows how little my riding is as far as speed and experience and drops all go.

As for me i get enough stopping out of 6 inch tektros to do a stoppie (endo) any time i feel like. which is often enough. lol
I have an exr comp, and its just like it's limiting me from becoming any better then i am, I cant do any bigger drops, or super downhill things, it bottoms out, full of air, and im keeping as much weigh off it as possible. I am going to get a new one, I have narrowed it down to dj3, or z1 (i have a thread on this)
 

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i read it earlier actually. You couldnt find the Z1 am i right??

see that means you need a new fork (as you have already worked out)

as for me its my riding abilty thats the limiting factor. Someday i'll have super T forks on my foes frame and nice 8 inch rotors.


























Someday :)
 
G

·
kelesis said:
yes i read it earlier actually. You couldnt find the Z1 am i right??

see that means you need a new fork (as you have already worked out)

as for me its my riding abilty thats the limiting factor. Someday i'll have super T forks on my foes frame and nice 8 inch rotors.

Someday :)
I hope i can get my dreambike someday too, hope!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
wow the maroons are holding court

nice work, Zedro, you almost got sanity restored here.

for those considering kelesis's question in the future, here are the proper questions to ask yourself.

1) why do you want to change from an existing brake to a 8" rotor disc? if it's just because it "looks cool" or something like that, STOP. you don't need it, and it doesn't matter that you want it. you're just asking for trouble, mainly due to your own ignorance of how bikes work. bikes aren't assembled at random with a focus on "looks cool." parts get chosen for particular reasons. stop and ask yourself why your current bike didn't come with that 8" rotor disc brake you think you need so badly.

2) do you know what swapping to an 8" rotor disc brake will do for you? if not, shut up and go read some engineering books. or at least go ride some bikes with different brake setups, so that you know what you're itching for and what it might do for you.

3) what do you know about bicycles anyway? if you can explain how they work and why they work that way, you might have half the knowledge necessary to consider swapping parts. on the other hand, if you talk about "upgrades" you probably don't know much about bikes at all. "upgrade" is a sales floor term designed to make you feel like you shouldn't buy the cheaper bike. it has nothing to do with performance.
 

·
n00b eternal
Joined
·
633 Posts
That's a little harsh. If you read the thread it sounds more like curiousity than anything else. You are right, he probably doesn't need it yet.

But saying that bikes aren't put together randomly and acting like all bikes are setup right is a bit silly (like they need no upgrades). On cheaper bikes, the price point is so fine that a product manager is going to get what he can. Alot of companies put together some ludicrous combinations just to meet a price point. Case in point: have you seen those silly Fuji DJ bikes that have horrible xc parts all over them (click here)

Or do you forget when (this is when I first started riding) Cannondale tried to copyright the word "freeride" and put all of those horrible Coda and headshock parts all over their suped up Super-V "freeride" bikes? Or all of the freeride bikes sold today with DJ 2 forks that aren't meant for trail riding?

Lay off them for asking a question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
what is a Judy TT and why is it so bad...i thought Judy's were good forks?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top