Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Alex DH19 with some cheaper shimano hubs (sorry, can't think of the exact model). The problem I'm having is on both wheels if I apply the brake I am able to move the wheel about half and inch in each direction if I rock back and forth. The movement looks like it is happening at the hub. They are centerlock disks/hubs and I know for sure they are tight enough. Is this normal/safe? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I had this issue with my Centerlock hubs and rotors. Hubs were adjust perfectly, wheels were tight in the dropouts and the rotors were torqued to spec. I did some research and only a few riders have stated the same issues. Believe it or not, greasing the Centerlock interface splines got rid of the play for me. It's not a super tight fit, so that you can install and remove the rotors, so there is a very small amount of play. The grease must have taken up that small amount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a more knowledgeable friend take a look at it and he pointed out that the caliper, rotor and hub don't move, it is just the rim/tire experiencing the movement - so it is flex between the hub and the rim. The spoke tension seems fine, but maybe they are flimsy spokes - too long and thin and maybe not enough of them for a 29" wheel... The wheel set was cheap - maybe a little too cheap.

·
West Chester, PA
5,004 Posts
Had a more knowledgeable friend take a look at it and he pointed out that the caliper, rotor and hub don't move, it is just the rim/tire experiencing the movement - so it is flex between the hub and the rim. The spoke tension seems fine, but maybe they are flimsy spokes - too long and thin and maybe not enough of them for a 29" wheel... The wheel set was cheap - maybe a little too cheap.
If you can easily move the tire back and forth the wheel is way under tension. It matters much more than how thin the spokes are. Cheap wheels built by robots often have this problem.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
That seems very unlikely. Cheap wheelsets use heavy spokes and if your spokes have any tension at all you are not going to get play between spokes and rim.
Is the play spongy like a spring or is it easy to push and then hits a wall?
Remember that to provide 1/2" of play at the tire you'd only need 0.10" of play at the rotor and far less at the centerlock spline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.