Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Hayes hfx-mag disc brake on my trek 4500 which is on the rear, and each time I brake under light pressure, the brake makes a horrible vibrating and squeaking sound, and I cannot get it to stop. so someone please help me. :mad: :(

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
At the risk of offending....

dtrek4500 said:
Hi I have a Hayes hfx-mag disc brake on my trek 4500 which is on the rear, and each time I brake under light pressure, the brake makes a horrible vibrating and squeaking sound, and I cannot get it to stop. so someone please help me. :mad: :(
I'm asking this question based on my own experience, not to offend you. Are you absolutely positive that both your brake pads are in the caliper? A horrible squealing could be a metal on metal contact and the vibrating could very well be your disc retaining stud mating with the rotor's cut outs.

Ken

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken in KC said:
I'm asking this question based on my own experience, not to offend you. Are you absolutely positive that both your brake pads are in the caliper? A horrible squealing could be a metal on metal contact and the vibrating could very well be your disc retaining stud mating with the rotor's cut outs.

Ken
Yeah both the pads are in the caliper, and dont worry you did not offend me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The bolts that hold the caliper on the mounting bracket go thru slots, you have to hold the rear tire up and line it up so when you spin the wheel the rotors don't touch the caliper pad. If they still do and you have it as good as it will go your rotor is probably bent.

·
Registered
462 Posts
mmmm. sounds familiar

make sure that the pads are lining up on the rotor properly. I think I have had the same problem (hayes mag), and it is weird because it didn't start until after a few months, but the rear brake started to make a vibration that was soooo distracting, and along with it a howling (not squeal).

My rear pads were lining up too far on the inside of the rotor by a couple mm's, so they were making contact with the rotor arms. I think this is the reason for the vibration (making contact with a rotor arm every fraction of a second). And, it would only do it under light pressure. I found some thin washers and put them between the caliper and the brake adapter to get the pads to line up with the rotor better, and it solved the problem mostly. Unfortunately, a line gouged in the pad, and I think this causes some light noise once in a while (but not bad).

It seems like the adaptor should put the brake pads in full contact with the rotor surface, but I don't know what happened. Maybe the springs that hold the pads in place are too loose and let the pads hang down, I don't know. -t

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toad said:
make sure that the pads are lining up on the rotor properly. I think I have had the same problem (hayes mag), and it is weird because it didn't start until after a few months, but the rear brake started to make a vibration that was soooo distracting, and along with it a howling (not squeal).

My rear pads were lining up too far on the inside of the rotor by a couple mm's, so they were making contact with the rotor arms. I think this is the reason for the vibration (making contact with a rotor arm every fraction of a second). And, it would only do it under light pressure. I found some thin washers and put them between the caliper and the brake adapter to get the pads to line up with the rotor better, and it solved the problem mostly. Unfortunately, a line gouged in the pad, and I think this causes some light noise once in a while (but not bad).

It seems like the adaptor should put the brake pads in full contact with the rotor surface, but I don't know what happened. Maybe the springs that hold the pads in place are too loose and let the pads hang down, I don't know. -t
Yeah thanks for your help, I think I am going to try the thing eith the shims, and how many mm's should they be, or should they just be thick enougth so you get them off the arms?

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
Yeah thanks for your help, I think I am going to try the thing eith the shims, and how many mm's should they be, or should they just be thick enougth so you get them off the arms?
I just center the rotor between the pads when they are fully retracted.
Last sunday I had that vibration thing happen to me on this downhill. It was the only time that ever happened to me and the day was dry conditions too so I couldnt figure out where it came from. I did notice my rear brake was really close to the caliper body but that was because the rear wheel wasnt in properly and was fixed before the shuddering that went on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am also having a probelm with my disk brakes. I have hayes mx2 mechanical disc brakes. The front rotor rubbes the outside pad :( . The mx2 series brakes have inner pad adjustment not outer. What can I do to fix this? I have not had this problem since I got my bike rather it is recent. I have only been on the trails a few times and have somewhere around 40 or so miles on my bike.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
New pads always cured any vibration I have had.

Without riding your bike, I can't, of course, tell just how bad your vibration is but in my experience, new pads always got rid of any unwanted vibration on the bikes my wife and I ride.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,734 Posts
Hmmm.

dtrek4500 said:
Yeah both the pads are in the caliper, and dont worry you did not offend me.
He offended me.

fp

·
Registered
43 Posts
theoneinventor said:
I am also having a probelm with my disk brakes. I have hayes mx2 mechanical disc brakes. The front rotor rubbes the outside pad :( . The mx2 series brakes have inner pad adjustment not outer. What can I do to fix this? I have not had this problem since I got my bike rather it is recent. I have only been on the trails a few times and have somewhere around 40 or so miles on my bike.

I'm not familiar w/ your brakes but is there a way you can put a spacer (washer) to move over the entire caliper or does it need to come more towards the frame mount?

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toad said:
just enough shim to keep them from rubbing the arms. Good Luck! -t
Yeah, today after a cople of nice wet rides, thank this nice rain period we are going through, most of the vibration problems went away. So I think I am going to just put up with it, because of what I herd from other posters here, it seems to be a hayes problem, or maby not. ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
dirt

dirt and dust are crazy things, you might not see it but its there, sounds like you just have a dirt problem, you can take your pads out and give them a hit with sandpaper or just do what I do when mine are giving me probs, go really fast and slam on them.

-note slaming on breaks when going really really fast could lead to more problems

I thaught adding one of those wicked cool waver things would spice up my post...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts