Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference in the different types of disk brake pads? How do organic, sintered, and semi-metalic pads stack up against each other? I think important points would be:
Max stopping power
Initial bite
Difference in lever effort
Modulation
Durability
Resistance to heat
Resistance to noise
Ease of break in

I don't think this has been covered all in one thread. If it goes really well it might even be sticky worthy. :thumbsup:

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
This is based on my use of Avid brand organic and sintered pads over the past year+...

Max stopping power - Organic has a reduced Max vs. Sintered. It's a noticeable but not huge difference.

Initial bite - I guess this is like "grabby"? Both seem to be about equal.

Difference in lever effort - The organics require a slight increase in effort to achieve the same amount of braking.

Modulation - The organic pads win this one.

Durability - The sintered pads win this one by a fairly wide margin. I've run the same set of sintered pads for almost two years. I've had to replace a set of organics after just 14 months.

Resistance to heat - My riding (both place and style) doesn't really tax either compound type in this area.

Resistance to noise - The organic pads win this one. They still make some noise but noticeably less than the sintered pads.

Ease of break in - I'll give a slight edge to the organic pads. They both still require a proper break in, however.

·
Registered
160 Posts
bump.

I'm interested too.

So far I've found that I burn through the stock pads (semi-metallic) on my K24's fairly fast. I just switched out the semi-metallics to organics in the front, and actually I don't like them... noticeably more grabby in the initial bite. I do have a 7" rotor in the front, 6" in the back for what that's worth. I've also noticed some odd noises at slow speeds with the organics. I'm switching them out for sintered now to try those.

my two cents...

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
There's another category or maybe even more. Galfer makes a kevlar pad.
I like them because they stop as good as organic, don't wear as fast, are good in wet, don't squeal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've found these two sites that give nice explanations about brake-pad materials and their characteristics. They also explain clearly what kinds of fade are to be distinguished and how this relates to pad material. It is about car brakes, but the physics should be pretty much the same.
site 1
site 2

·
Registered
647 Posts
DM-SC said:
This is based on my use of Avid brand organic and sintered pads over the past year+...

Max stopping power - Organic has a reduced Max vs. Sintered. It's a noticeable but not huge difference.

Initial bite - I guess this is like "grabby"? Both seem to be about equal.

Difference in lever effort - The organics require a slight increase in effort to achieve the same amount of braking.

Modulation - The organic pads win this one.

Durability - The sintered pads win this one by a fairly wide margin. I've run the same set of sintered pads for almost two years. I've had to replace a set of organics after just 14 months.

Resistance to heat - My riding (both place and style) doesn't really tax either compound type in this area.

Resistance to noise - The organic pads win this one. They still make some noise but noticeably less than the sintered pads.

Ease of break in - I'll give a slight edge to the organic pads. They both still require a proper break in, however.
That's pretty much exactly my experience. I will add that organics do tend to overheat quicker than sintered.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For Formula brakes (at least the K24s that I have), the sintered pads actually make less noise than the organic pads. The K-24s I bought came with organic pads, not sintered pads

Also, I thought Formula only has sintered and organic, i.e., their sintered is their semi-metallic...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.