Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I have seen a mount for disk brakes that screws on to a flip flop hub.

Did I imagine this? Anyone know of these.

·
donkey
263 Posts
I think you may have. If anyone makes it, its probably Problem Solvers. Maybe what you saw was the adapter to change centre-lock hubs to IS 6-bolt hubs? You could also check out BrakeTherapy. I'm not sure how that set up that you described would work, unless it screwed onto fixed gear threads and used a lock ring. If they were freewheel threads, you might end up unscrewing your rotor if you were rolling backwards...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 cog frog said:
... Here is a link to the atomlab one...
Thanks! I knew I'd seen them somewhere.

I'll watch out for the alignment issue - I'll build the wheel taking that into account.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
I asked about this a few weeks ago. A couple of posters who said they've used the adaptor stated that the Atomlab hub adaptor has a tendency to un-thread from the hub. In otherwords a piss poor design. I ended up trashing my original idea and going with a disc hub and a ss spacer kit.

let me know if you want me to find the thread I mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Keep in mind that the AtomLab adapters were designed for BMX bikes with horizontal wheel mounts. Torque from the wheel is transfered to the slotted wheel mount, and play in that wheel mount can cause the adapter to rock - and the small BMX wheels do not transfer as much torque as MTB wheels. The caliper adapter will not work on a dropout (unless you mod it alot)

Here it is mounted to a SS frame with a Horizontal wheel mount.

Note: a brace was added from the adapter to the cantilever brake mount to prevent the adapter from rotating.

The hub adapter threads onto the hub, and obviously it will unthread if you put reverse force on it. Normal braking is fine, but if you brake going backwards (ie: rear wheelie, rear wheel hops, or even holding yourself on a steep hill) it will loosen and unthread. You can't have everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok thanks for that; it makes sense now.

I have an IRO Highlander (no disc mounts) but with disc hubs (got em cheap) so I've been wondering about these sorts of conversions. Given the cost and effort I'll probably wait until the Highlander gives up the ghost and get a Mia or Surly 1x1.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
EastCoast said:
Ok thanks for that; it makes sense now.

I have an IRO Highlander (no disc mounts) but with disc hubs (got em cheap) so I've been wondering about these sorts of conversions. Given the cost and effort I'll probably wait until the Highlander gives up the ghost and get a Mia or Surly 1x1.
I couldn't find the Highlander on IRO's site but is the Highlander a steel frame? I just got a guy to weld a disc brake mount on an older steel frame I wasn't ready to retire. The whole deal cost me $40.

By the way, at the same time I asked on these boards about the Atomlab setup I asked about this: http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_show_item_details.php?item_id=4 . Seems more people had a higher success rate using this adaptor although I think some commented that removing the rear wheel takes more time and effort.

At the end of the day welding a brake mount on my frame turned out to be the best option due to the cost factor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Highlander's an aluminum frame, otherwise I would have considered getting the mount welded on. I like it a lot; Tony stopped selling them maybe 4-8 (?) months ago. I did see the discbrakeadapters item; I did read the pros and cons like you pointed out but it is a tempting solution.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Sorry to put you on the spot but.....

itsdoable said:
Discbrakeadapters.com

Been there too. Worked, with a bit of fiddling, could benefit from a brace as well. Removing the wheel is a bit of a pain (with the AtomLab version too).
....if we held a gun to your head and forced you to pick one; either the Atomlab or Disc Brake adaptor solution, which one would it be?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Ratman said:
....if we held a gun to your head and forced you to pick one; either the Atomlab or Disc Brake adapter solution, which one would it be?
It would really depend on the bike, since these adapters don't fit everything. However, if I have my choice, all things being equal.....:

I'd probably use a Brake Therapy or Woodman adapter first - they fit almost any bike frame, but you need to modify the hub in both cases. The Woodman is easier to remove the wheel with vertical dropouts, the BT is more flexible. Both are kind of expensive, so they are not worth using unless you have a frame you really like, or you got a killer deal on the adapter. Plus you need a compatible hub that can be modified (both will work with Shimano hubs, the BT can be made to work with many others, including Chris King).

But before I use either, I'd consider if I could get the frame modified, or use a bolt on adapter like this:

The above is a Specialized Sharks-Fin adapter designed for their ~2000 FSR bikes, it can be modified to fit many frames - an lbs has been putting them on Kona Hei Hei's (their Ti frames), its a great way to get disc on an old frame. The above is mounted to a deKerf, I've also had it on as AMP rear suspension. It does require you to drill a hole (M5) in the dropout, but if there is room for that, this works nice - it does not interfere with wheel removal at all.

You can also make a DIY adapter, this is one from our ride group, on a Santa Cruz Superlite:

I've seen many others on the web.

Both the above DIY adapters are preferential to the BT, Woodman, DiscBrakeAdapters.com or AtomLab versions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.