Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
kgt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, friend of mine has a Stinky which has just been fitted with new Mavics & Hopes. Problem now is that he's mashed about 5 gear hangers and sets in the last 3-4 months, usually within about 30 mins of jumping on the bike. Not doing anything crazy, riding round town etc, not even downhilling at the moment.

Anyone had similar experiences ?
Do you know of any issues with the 04/05 frames ?

etc etc.

To say the least, he's pretty hacked off at the moment without his fave steed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bent derailleur, bent cog, bent tab on the stay that locates the hanger, spokes on the wheel bowing out and "grabbing" the rear D to name a few.

Have the bike shop put it in the stand, pull out the shock (not just the spring) set the suspension fully compressed plus a few % for flex and start pedaling, shifting gears, flipping the rear D back like it would be when it's bouncing around.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi kgt,
I would say that there has to be something up with the bike. The chain could be too short, or the derailleur bent, or something. Hangers shouldn't break that often. They are supposed to break in a big impact (saving your rear derailleur) but this often sounds suspect.
Best of luck,
Joe.

·
kgt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. the owner is almost close to junking the bike which I think would be a big mistake. its in an alternative shop right now. hopefully he can pinpoint something. if it does turn out to be a frame alignment fault or something down to manf processes, do you think they'd cover it on warranty ? I know that Marin would, coz they did mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
kgt said:
thanks guys. the owner is almost close to junking the bike which I think would be a big mistake. its in an alternative shop right now. hopefully he can pinpoint something. if it does turn out to be a frame alignment fault or something down to manf processes, do you think they'd cover it on warranty ? I know that Marin would, coz they did mine.
When you're troubleshooting you look at what was changed, and try to see what's caused the fault.

It sounds like the bike was running fine before the wheels and brakes were changed. While it would seem like those parts wouldn't affect the drivetrain, it's possible something was damaged in the swap, or something was changed and it's not syncing up now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.