Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No Fear
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Any one has an idea how to make a floating disc system. I ride a 06 stinky and I have designed the adapter ( the part caliper is mounted on) and the floating arm ( which connects the adapter to the front triangle) In Solid works and I have no problem with CNCing them out . but im a little confused how to fit the adapter on my rear hub . It’s a standard hub with 10 mm quick release axel and 135mm width .there is no room for the adapter pivot point .Should I replace on of the nuts with the adapter or what??
I have saw pictures of non floating bikes mounting self designed systems but no detail was obvious .
Or maybe like Kona DOPE place the adapter out side the frame? But how to fix it there?

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
what's with all the floating brake threads? Dang, if you gotta ask, you probably aint qualified. there is soo much more involved than just the rod, rod ends, shaft, hub interface. All of that is useless if you do not have the correct angle of the brake arm and floating bracket correct.

I can respect wanting to do something yourself. but if you are wanting something that will perform, buy a brake kit from Brian and Brake Therapy. He is good people.

But , you gotta pull the end cap off your hub and hope that give you enough room between the hub and frame to insert the floating bracket. Not to mention you have to address the interface between the floating bracket/frame and hub/floating bracket.

good luck
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Jimmy-pop/shinburgers.jpg

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Floating disc or floating caliper? if you're talking about caliper, honestly you're better off just going through brake therapy, they're the pros.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
If you can actually design and fabricate a floating caliper mount that works I'd make your system adjustable so you can dial in the amount of squat you like.

M1 Joel gave you enough info to go on as far as the hub/frame/mount interface I think.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
Here's a photo of the caliper mount. The end cap of the left side of your hub is replaced with another provided by Brian (Brake Therapy) that uses needle bearings (for my application) and has a cutout in it for this arm to slide into. You can see the u-shaped recess that guides the arm onto the adaptor. After it is fully seated, a small diameter bolt runs from one side to the other effectively locking this arm onto the hub adaptor. When you need to remove the wheel, simply remove the small bolt with an allen and the arm slides off the hub. Remove wheel. I bought the whole kit from Brian but had to have my prototype machinist buddy fabricate a clamp for the upper mounting position to the frame as Brian didn't offer one with a large enough inner diameter for my Foes frame. It was actually quite a cool deal, Brian designed one in CAAD, sent my buddy the file and my friend knocked it out in a day or two. Good luck making that arm. You my need it.

·
No Fear
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How much does the brian's system cost?
Maybe its better to buy one of those and ask them to mail it for me .Or I can have a friend send it for me ( it will cost much less than post) .
Thinking on it I found some solutions yesterday .

1: Place the pivot over the outer nut . Machine a circular part which its inner pattern fits the outer face of my nut . and its outer diameter should fit in a ball bearing . Then ill fit the whole assembly in the pivot point of the adapter.

Positives - The adapter is between the hub and frame so tight secured in addition with lateral forces
Negatives - The assembly I told is fixed on the hub .So every time you want to take out the wheel have to open the brake arm from adapter .And the brake arm will have a free end when the wheel isn't in frame.

2: Fix the pivot ball bearing on the dropout's outer wall .
Positives : The whole float system is fixed on the frame no matter what you want to do take out wheel or any thing
Negatives : How to fix the **** ball bearing on frame .
Industrial heat proof glue : Nope no glue can handle braking forces.
Bolting it to frame : Ah no no I don't want to ruin my drop out .

By the way . In the picture showing hub adapter I see no bearing on it . Also Brians system is fixed on the frame too and has the negative points as my first solution .

Secace can you do me a favor please . I want a close look at the hub to adapter connection .Exactly how that adapter is mounted on your hub. The outer nut is replaced by the bearing right ? How does the bearing frame look like ? Do you need to open the kit from hub when removing wheel ?
Can you send me some more photos ? Here or in my mail.
[email protected]
I would be very thankfull

But anyway thank you all very very much for the info and pix it helped me a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.