Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learning how to build wheels, completed one so far and I am hooked!
Question - my first build was simple SS/FG wheel, rim brake. My next one will be SS specific disc brake hub, threaded for freewheel/fixed cog.
Once wheel is laced - do I just put disc rotor on, put the wheel in the frame and get the correct dish that way? I know I can adjust caliper later but what is the right way to get correct dish on the non-drive side on disc brake hub?

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
You can do it that way. Use zip ties on the fork legs to help your accuracy.

The way I do it is with a dishing tool. Measure the rim width. Divide by two. Subtract that number from half the axle spacing.

·
West Chester, PA
4,966 Posts
Wait a second... Why do you think the rotor and caliper have anything to do with the dish? The rotor is in a fixed location. Just making sure you're not talking about something else.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait a second... Why do you think the rotor and caliper have anything to do with the dish? The rotor is in a fixed location. Just making sure you're not talking about something else.
You are correct, I did not think my question through - it is about the hub and nothing to do with the dish. And once I thought about it - no longer a question

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,773 Posts
just a note about dish on a SS hub. depending on the hub, it's pretty common on SS hubs that the flange spacing is even and thus equal spoke tension and no dish.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a note about dish on a SS hub. depending on the hub, it's pretty common on SS hubs that the flange spacing is even and thus equal spoke tension and no dish.
Flange spacing is different on mine but very minor, spoke length will be different as well (but not a lot).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I really should have read Roger Musson's book to the end first before asking questions. I know there are no stupid questions but I think mine qualifies as at least "not thought through question"

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
There's no correction for disc, non disc, SS, freewheels or any other type of wheel build. None of that needs consideration.

You center the rim between the locknuts or hub end caps. If you flip the wheel over in your stand, the rim should be in the same place.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's no correction for disc, non disc, SS, freewheels or any other type of wheel build. None of that needs consideration.

You center the rim between the locknuts or hub end caps. If you flip the wheel over in your stand, the rim should be in the same place.
Yep, thanks - figured it out. Funny as I always knew it but everything completely went out of my head as soon as I started building myself.
And your summary is great, to the point and clear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts