Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, so i just got the bike back from the local bike shop after a tune up and have decided to start riding again. So i find my camelbak and it looks like i forgot to empty out the old water (yea i know :madman: atleast 6 months). I noticed there was some green areas all over the camelbak resevoir. I used hot soapy water and began scrubbing away but after all the cleaning the green discoloration wont go away. I normally clean the camelbak after every use but forgot this time. Should I buy a new resevoir? or should i keep scrubbing away? any ideas on non harmful disinfectants??

·
Registered
804 Posts
chucko58 said:
Try a little bit of chlorine bleach diluted in hot water. If that doesn't work, prepare to spend $25 for a new reservoir.
he's on the right path here. Here's a few tips. Once you get the hot water/chlorine bleach mixture in the reservoir, then be sure to scrub it down and then let it sit full of the water/chlorine mixture overnight. It needs contact time to ensure a good sanitizing. Don't forget about the tube and mouthpiece. You must get those full of the solution as well. In the morning, rinse thoroughly with hot water and then use standard dish soap and water for a final cleaning and rinse again. It's possible that your reservoir is permanently discolored, but it will be sanitized and OK to use.

However, after I've said all that. If I were you, I'd just go out and buy a new one. $25 well spent, IMO. You don't want to screw around with your drinking water. Better safe than sorry.

I spent over 7 yrs in the process water industry so I'm a tad on the anal side when it comes to water purity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.