Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
hey pvd, what happened in that other post that u madE? they all shot you down. those downhillers arent all that nice are they haha. but i mean, u have helped out ALOTA motogp and rec riders in the motorcycle fields. i think you might know something that you are talking about. but cool page man

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
pvd said:
Can of worms dude. Been discussed here many times but the spoke manufacturers recommend pulling spoke elbow out to take the force off the head and put some of it on the elbow to distribute the force more better. Out in the real world I think most everyone agrees it does not matter. If a spoke flexes enough to hit your caliper under braking its probably too loose.

Dave Thomas built a wheelset for my 225 lb friend's 6 x 5" travel bike with 2 cross on the front non-disc side. Holding up fine 2 yrs now.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ratt said:
...Dave Thomas built a wheelset for my 225 lb friend's 6 x 5" travel bike with 2 cross on the front non-disc side. Holding up fine 2 yrs now.
All sorts of lacing holds up. I have been using a couple of experimental wheels for several years. The fronts (32 spoke) are 2x disc side and 3x non disc. Have one rear wheel laced 1x drive side and 3x disc side. No trouble with them at all so far.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
While I've not fully checked out pvd's wikis, I have noticed he needs to learn verb tenses and use of a spell checker. Just turns me off when someone does something like this and can't even be bothered to make sure it's presented well (my apologies pvd if English isn't your primary language). I have noticed his wikis haven't gotten full support on some of the threads. I'd probably be more likely to give the wikis more credence if within the first few sentences there aren't already some fine examples of poor English, but I usually skip them at that point anyways. Maybe it's the self congratulatory description that when he writes a wiki it's "nice"; hard to argue that, since they're only self-edited.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
While I've not fully checked out pvd's wikis, I have noticed he needs to learn verb tenses and use of a spell checker. Just turns me off when someone does something like this and can't even be bothered to make sure it's presented well (my apologies pvd if English isn't your primary language). I have noticed his wikis haven't gotten full support on some of the threads. I'd probably be more likely to give the wikis more credence if within the first few sentences there aren't already some fine examples of poor English, but I usually skip them at that point anyways. Maybe it's the self congratulatory description that when he writes a wiki it's "nice"; hard to argue that, since they're only self-edited.
How about you edit PVD's stuff and PM it to him. :p

·
born again
652 Posts
That sure is nice! Here's my favorite part:

Chris King Instructions specify:

"The front ISO Disc should be laced 3-or-more-cross with the rotor (left) side pulling spokes (relative to braking direction) heads out/elbows in (when laced 3-cross). The final cross of the pulling spoke must be on the outside so that as braking force is applied, increased pulling spoke tension will pull the crossed spokes towards the center of the hub and away from the caliper. Lace the wheel symmetrically."

Note that this disagrees with the Shimano in regards to the front wheel, but does not refer to the rear wheel. Since there is a discrepancy, Shimano prevails. Shimano actually employs real engineers, makes far more designs of every kind that meet every price point and performance level. They truly know what they are doing. King makes very nice hubs and headsets, but the devil is in the low end. The high end is easy, the low end is hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.