Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Liquid 25 with Hayes Nine brakes. I am trying to upgrade the rotors to 8" but I was told that the back may not be strong enough for the tension caused by that big of rotor. Any ideas?

·
2,548 Posts
anthonysams said:
I have a Liquid 25 with Hayes Nine brakes. I am trying to upgrade the rotors to 8" but I was told that the back may not be strong enough for the tension caused by that big of rotor. Any ideas?
Ummmmm, ...keep the size you already have, perhaps ??? Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm sure they spec'ed a certain size for a certain reason, no ???

·
Registered
276 Posts
They spec an 8" rotor on the Liquid 65...

...and the frame is the same. So, using my incredible powers of observation, and the fact that I run an 8" rotor on the back of my 2005 Liquid 25 frame, I'm pretty sure it's OK. That said, ask Trek. They have been great about emailing me back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brakes

msylvan said:
...and the frame is the same. So, using my incredible powers of observation, and the fact that I run an 8" rotor on the back of my 2005 Liquid 25 frame, I'm pretty sure it's OK. That said, ask Trek. They have been great about emailing me back.
Hey, thanks for the wisdom. I have put an 8 on the front and an Avid 7 on the back with an Avid rear adapter. I have taken the bike down some steep terrain and the braking is way better, more control over modulation as well as minimizing lock-up. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.