Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.
when I'm setting up Mono mini on the repair stand, it's rub free.
But when i'm sitting on the bike (ti Hardtail) I can hear it rubbing.
I've sat down and ask a friend to see the brake and the pad are actually rubbing the inner rotor?
Is this normal?
Should I set up the rear brake while sitting on the bike or?
Please advise.

Thanks..

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
flexy seatstays

The seatstays where the caliper is attached is probably flexy enough to bow out when it's weighted. The carbon stays on my Fuel does the same thing. I typically play with it a little to get it rub free on the stand and while riding. However, given a choice, I'd live with rub on the stand and no rub while riding...

·
Registered
36 Posts
simple solution (maybe)

I had this problem last week with my Hayes and the solution was simple (not sure if it the same for you but feel free to try).

I had spent a lot of messing about and wondering why my front wheel only rubbed when I was sitting and riding it and not when I just spinned it by hand. I took my wheel off and re-set the bolts that hold the wheel on the fork so that they were pretty much centred. (they were very uneven) This therefore centred the wheel, and hence the brakes, when I tightened the release lever.

I fugured this happened because I had been taking my front wheel on and off a lot in the last while in order to transport my bike, and the tightening bolts / quick release mechanism had been moved.
...I also guess that having the rotor centred allows for the flex that happens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lizard biker said:
I had this problem last week with my Hayes and the solution was simple (not sure if it the same for you but feel free to try).

I had spent a lot of messing about and wondering why my front wheel only rubbed when I was sitting and riding it and not when I just spinned it by hand. I took my wheel off and re-set the bolts that hold the wheel on the fork so that they were pretty much centred. (they were very uneven) This therefore centred the wheel, and hence the brakes, when I tightened the release lever.

I fugured this happened because I had been taking my front wheel on and off a lot in the last while in order to transport my bike, and the tightening bolts / quick release mechanism had been moved.
...I also guess that having the rotor centred allows for the flex that happens.
Can't really adjust on the CrossMax.
It's screw in from both side so the axle lenght should be even.

If I can live with rub on the repair stand, how can check how true my rotor are?
Will replacement the Mavic Skewer change the situation?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
It's odd that your hub/axle would flex enough to cause this. That concerns me more than the frame which has a bit of pliability being Ti and all. Are your axle ends or cones snug on the Crossmax?

Even if it's the frame that is flexing it should only be doing so vertically. Not sure what would cause it to flex inwards.

Also, try a quality QR - XT, Hope, etc. The Mavic QRs are junk IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soupboy said:
It's odd that your hub/axle would flex enough to cause this. That concerns me more than the frame which has a bit of pliability being Ti and all. Are your axle ends or cones snug on the Crossmax?

Even if it's the frame that is flexing it should only be doing so vertically. Not sure what would cause it to flex inwards.

Also, try a quality QR - XT, Hope, etc. The Mavic QRs are junk IMO.
Tried with a XT QR too.
My old xt with 717 don't flex a bit.
Maybe it's time to sell my Crossmax and go for the king!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had the same problem with my GF Cake. Carbon seatstays and cheap wheels. Turning in the corners or leaning the bike made it much worse. I solved the problem by getting rid of it and buying a Spec Stumpjumper.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I had the same prob with my bike. I tried Salsa skewers, XT, Speedcifics, and trying really crank them down. What fixed the problem for me was using Hope skewers. They seem to really be stiff and and clamped the wheel so it wouldn't shift around in the dropouts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.