Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what you folks have for advice on rotor size. I'm new to 29ers and am in the process of building up an On One Inbred. Are 160's okay for the wheel size, or should I upsize to the 185's? I'm going with Avid BB-7s.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go 6"

bikertim said:
Was wondering what you folks have for advice on rotor size. I'm new to 29ers and am in the process of building up an On One Inbred. Are 160's okay for the wheel size, or should I upsize to the 185's? I'm going with Avid BB-7s.

Thanks!
I have 7" F+R on my 292 and 6" F+R on my Rig. I don't notice any advantage in the 7".
On the contrary, I rather exchange the rear 7" to 6" due to too easy lockout.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Tim, how heavy are you?
How fast do you like to stop?
This makes all the difference in the world.

Personally, I'll only ride 7" rotors on my XC bikes and 8" rotors on my heavy trailbike. I'm 220lbs though and like to stop fast.

If I run 6" rotors, I glaze pads and SQUEEL on the downhills at about the 1/2 mile point.

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
yep

180# here. 6" rear, 7" front. the 6" i had up front would turn blue and glaze pads up a whole lot more than the 7" one does. on smaller wheels i can go 6" front and rear almost all the time with no problems, but the big hoops seem to eat brakes a little faster...

Padre said:
Tim, how heavy are you?

Personally, I'll only ride 7" rotors on my XC bikes and 8" rotors on my heavy trailbike. I'm 220lbs though and like to stop fast.

If I run 6" rotors, I glaze pads and SQUEEL on the downhills at about the 1/2 mile point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Padre said:
Tim, how heavy are you?

I'm about 210lbs and do like crisp brakes, I'm leaning towards the larger rotors - also, it's a singlespeed, if that matters any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.