Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What experience have you had with any of the facing tools out there? The Hope spot seem to be the economical choice but I've not used one before. Park has a new one coming out, the DT-1, but there is little info on price. The options seem to be:

Hope Spot, $120
CTS, $200, mounts to both drop-outs
Magura Gnann-o-mat, $250, tough to find
Park DT-1, $?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've used the Magura before and I worked pretty well. I would not in a million years buy one for $250 though. I had a chance to fiddle around with the Hope tool and it seems pretty decent. Next time I need to face a brake mount, I am going to by the Hope.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ratt said:
Hammerhead bikes rents out a magura facing tool for $30 or so.
yeah, that's what I've been asking myself but for a couple of years now. I built one disc bike last year and am about to start two disc projects, an On-One SS and a Genius MC. I like having my own tools and between my bikes and friends bikes I don't have a problem with the investment. I plan to ride for a long time.

Last year I asked my LBS, the biggest shop in Austin, to face my tabs and they looked at me like I was the confused one, told me to not the read too much into the message boards and suggested using shims, ugh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just used a Hope Spot facing tool that I paid $106 at Universal Cycles. It worked great. It's a must have tool if your are going to set up any IS type of disc brakes. It makes sure that the tabs for the brake mount are flat and square to each other. This is helps when you are trying to align the caliper to the disc. Proper setup will elminate that evil squealing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
consolidated said:
What experience have you had with any of the facing tools out there? The Hope spot seem to be the economical choice but I've not used one before. Park has a new one coming out, the DT-1, but there is little info on price. The options seem to be:

Hope Spot, $120
CTS, $200, mounts to both drop-outs
Magura Gnann-o-mat, $250, tough to find
Park DT-1, $?
I have the Hope Spot and am ambivalent towards it. It was reasonably affordable (I justified getting it after getting quotes for ~$50 to face fork/frame from two of the local shops), however it (or mine) has had some flaws.

The cutter can only be placed at specific points relative to the axle, and if your disc tabs aren't perfectly placed, the cutter may not line up. The cutter both bores the hole in the tab as well as faces its surface; if the cutter isn't perfectly aligned with the tab, the boring tool will bind and/or create an oblong hole. My Marzocchi fork was right on, but my Turner frame was off ever so slightly (I filed the paint out of the drop out on the non-drive side, and got better alignment) and took a lot of time to get right.

Also, the first time I mounted the handwheel to the cutting tool, it froze on. The handwheel is supposed to slide on the cutter and is used to set the depth of the cut (ensuring both tabs are equally cut), however without being able to slide the handwheel, I had to measure the depth of cuts by hand (I had a dial caliper, and was able to do so very accurately, but it made the job unnecessarily difficult).

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Park DT-1 just arrived today! It works great! I have also used the Magura Gnann o mat. The Magura comes stock ready to do 135 and 100mm by 10mm frames with adaptors available for 12mm and 20mm axles. The Park will do basically everything. The two situations the Park may not handle are the rare 15mm rear axle (V10 I believe) and 12mm QR rear axles. The tool comes with an adaptor to use with 12mm frames and the bike's existing axle and this will work fine for axles secured by pinch bolts, however for 12mm QR axles, there is nothing for the QR to close on as the hub is not present so it will not work. I think I will make up a pair of aluminium rings with a 12mm ID and a small setcrew for use in this case, just in case I come across a bike where I need it.

After trying the DT-1 out on a few tabs, I am satisfied. My only complaint is that the knob can be kind of difficult to turn when facing the hole closest to the axle, particularily on the rear. Park has provided for using a 10mm socket instead of the knob, but I would prefer a smaller knob as I like the being able to feel the tool on the frame. As a note, the Magura tool seems to require less effort at the knob to face the frame.

I looked into all the other tools I could find, including; Hope, Magura (have) Var, Cyclus, CTS, and SIlva. Not only does Park cover the widest range of possibilities, it is also the cheapest (okay maybe the Hope is a few bucks cheaper, but see the above comments...).

All in all, I am quite happy with it! Quite solid and looks like it will last!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.