Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Raleigh M-80 and am considering upgrading the brakes from the stock V-brakes to disc. :cool: What are the pros/cons and which ones should I get. :confused: Thanks for all the responses, in advance. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
i ride an m50 frame (it was the best frame i could get at the time) and i upgraded most of the parts, including the brakes. In my opinion, my Avid mechs are decently strong, but their real benefit is modulation. If you ride on wet trails, there a big plus. I dont think its necesary to get hydros for a mainly cross country bike, and if i were you i would go with either avid mechs or hayes mechs (but not the mx2!!)

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
ncsigma said:
I have a Raleigh M-80 and am considering upgrading the brakes from the stock V-brakes to disc. :cool: What are the pros/cons and which ones should I get. :confused: Thanks for all the responses, in advance. :)
Start with our FAQ at the top of the page for general info and come back to us with specific questions.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)

·
Registered
44 Posts
ajw8899 said:
i ride an m50 frame (it was the best frame i could get at the time) and i upgraded most of the parts, including the brakes. In my opinion, my Avid mechs are decently strong, but their real benefit is modulation. If you ride on wet trails, there a big plus. I dont think its necesary to get hydros for a mainly cross country bike, and if i were you i would go with either avid mechs or hayes mechs (but not the mx2!!)
Anything specifically wrong with the hmx-2 brakes? Poor quality? Poor braking ability? Lack of adjustability?

I only ask because I'm getting my new bike tomorrow and it has these brakes. I am able to upgrade the parts, but is it really worth it? BTW, there is no review for the hmx-2s (or none that I saw, anyway).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
AgentHubcap said:
Anything specifically wrong with the hmx-2 brakes? Poor quality? Poor braking ability? Lack of adjustability?

I only ask because I'm getting my new bike tomorrow and it has these brakes. I am able to upgrade the parts, but is it really worth it? BTW, there is no review for the hmx-2s (or none that I saw, anyway).
People complain around here from poor power. Make a search on this forum. Trade your brakes to Avid mechs or Magura Julie's. Both are sold for around the same money and are very good brakes for the price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Warp2003 said:
People complain around here from poor power. Make a search on this forum. Trade your brakes to Avid mechs or Magura Julie's. Both are sold for around the same money and are very good brakes for the price.
Well...I picked up my new bike today, and left the hmx-2s on (the guy at the bike shop said that if I wasn't happy after a few rides then I could upgrade them without any penalty). I really don't see why everyone is complaning about these. They seemed fine to me. I had to bed them in, obviously, but after that they were awesome. Much, MUCH better than my crappy promax v-brakes on my old bike.

I actually did try to search for posts on these brakes. The only thing that people complained about (specifically for the mx-2) was the lack of adjustability. I can see that being a downside if they aren't set up exactly how you'd like them. I found them a little loose (more pull required) compared with my Vs, but I had no problems locking up the rear wheel (didn't try the front). I don't anticipate upgrading anytime soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i would definately suggest an upgrade to disks over v'brakes.. not bagging v brakes cos they still provide good stopping power but disks just seem to bring the level of performance to another level!

anyway dunno if you are able to get a hold of these but here if your looking for quality hydro brakes for about the cost of good cable disks you could look for DICE whiplash brakes, they have the same feel as SHimano deore hydro discs, very crisp feeling at the lever and the stopping power will amaze you! well it amazed me anyway :p plus you wont find any plastic on these brakes, so their tough as! and they also have a handy spring that keeps the steel pin from sliding out and releasing the brake pads.. well i reckon its pretty handy anyway :D

just my 2c.. good luck!

Attachments

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Look at the rear break.

AgentHubcap said:
Well...I picked up my new bike today, and left the hmx-2s on (the guy at the bike shop said that if I wasn't happy after a few rides then I could upgrade them without any penalty). I really don't see why everyone is complaning about these. They seemed fine to me. I had to bed them in, obviously, but after that they were awesome. Much, MUCH better than my crappy promax v-brakes on my old bike.

I actually did try to search for posts on these brakes. The only thing that people complained about (specifically for the mx-2) was the lack of adjustability. I can see that being a downside if they aren't set up exactly how you'd like them. I found them a little loose (more pull required) compared with my Vs, but I had no problems locking up the rear wheel (didn't try the front). I don't anticipate upgrading anytime soon.
The cable stay is mounted off center from the caliper pull. It causes the cable to crimp up pretty good when you pull. It makes cranking down on the rear brake harder. The front disc is plenty powerful.

As far as adjusting them, it's pretty easy. You just need a thin card to use as a spacer. They also stay put pretty well. Just make sure you don't use spray lubricants on the rear cassette. They'll end up on the disc and the pads ;-)

You should be pretty happy with the mx-2. But if the bike shop will trade you at a decent price for Avids, I'd say it's probably worth it as an upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.