Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this in the passion zone and I guess I should've posted it here instead ;) Okay so I have been a bicyclist for many years and have ridden BMX, Mountain, and road as well. I am pretty good with figuring things out but I have not had a bike with disc brakes until the past couple of years. I need some new pads and to adjust them properly because both of my brakes are not working great and my front one appears to be rubbing alot. I think they gave me the wrong ones at the bike shop. Just a basic set of Promax. Anyone want to give me some tips on disc brakes and how to keep them maintained well? I am a very active cyclist and would prefer to be able to stop properly... but my brakes are borderline dangerous at the moment. Any suggestions and advice would be extremely helpful:thumbsup:

·
Bloated Cubs Fan
167 Posts
It helped me big time to look this up on youtube.

·
Bloated Cubs Fan
167 Posts
I found one for Avid BB7's and I have Tektros, but the jist is the same. Good luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have you tried asking your LBS for help? If they built it, they should also maintain it.

Get the old pads out and make sure you got the right pads. If better performance is what you want, I hope you got Sintered or metallic pads rather than organic pads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
waterdude said:
I found one for Avid BB7's and I have Tektros, but the jist is the same. Good luck!
Thanks man how do you like your Tektros? I am thinking about upgrading. Maybe the reason they are acting up is that mine are kinda cheap. They came stock on my K2 hardtail. But I will for sure check youtube because I need to figure out what's up with these things... :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Replace the promaxs they are junk. You'll love the bb7s

·
Bloated Cubs Fan
167 Posts
alexrex20 said:
tektros aren't exactly an upgrade.
Yeah, what he said. I have to fight the urge to upgrade them to Avids. I'm trying to figure out how much I'm going to use the bike before I'm gonna let myself upgrade anything besides grips, saddle, etc.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi there, you can try scoring yourself a 2ndhand unit of those BB7. If you find yourself not that interested in this sport, you can always sell it again. 2ndhand items doesn't depreciate that much compared to new ones.

A good set of brakes are essential for confidence boosting. Next to a good set of tires. Only then you'll have fun rather than worrying if the brakes or tires will give way when you needed it most, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts