Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc Brakes or Not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Avid Single Digit 7s. Should I get discs in the front? Or maybe even in the rear. Should I not get them?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I ride disc brakes because

Safety, fast reliable stoping in all condition
Control, smooth easy modulation on technical sections.
Maintance, my brakes require the least maintaince of any of the the bikes major systems.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brakes fo you prefer?

jeffscott said:
I ride disc brakes because

Safety, fast reliable stoping in all condition
Control, smooth easy modulation on technical sections.
Maintance, my brakes require the least maintaince of any of the the bikes major systems.
What disc brakes are overall the best, especially in low maintainance? Believe it or not, I have never used disc brakes, because I don't feel like paying 10-20$ for pads frequently. Also, how easy it is to bend the rotor? I have pushed slightly on some rotors at the shop and they seem pretty flexy. It just seems that discs are to much of a hassle for my use, even though I do ride really hard in all conditions. What do you think of only one disc in the front, and what about just a single one that is in the rear. I do use the rear brake more often, but I know how to use the front very well, and since it gives more than 70% of my braking power, a disc might be useful.

Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
There are plenty of threads on the subject to give you opinions. What bike are you using, what type of trails do you ride and in what conditions, etc. would be helpful to give you some helpful opinions. OTOH, if you just need encouragment, go for it if you don't mind the expense of the upgrades you need to do or the probable weight penalty...

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
My first set of discs was on the bike I got back into the sport on 18 mo. ago. Mechanical discs...not top of the line by any stretch, but decent. Now I'm a convert. Sure, they weigh a little more than V's, but where I live has some pretty nasty (wet, muddy) conditions and, despite my 240# size, I've yet to have complaints about stopping with discs once I got them set up.

There is a different type of maintenance routine involved, but on the plus side, you're also not wearing away at your rims when you're grinding mud between pads and braking surface.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I guess I will be upgrading to bb7 in the front in the near future.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
tibug, save your money and just get some Kool Stop salmon compound brake pads. I have avid brakes and run these pads and after riding several of my buddies bikes I found that my avid/kool stop brakes stop me better then anything but the highest end (XTR) disc brakes! Avid mechanical, avid hydraulic and Magura hydraulic, all fell beneath my v-brake power! I am current disappointed in the BB7's on front of my winter bike. I hope there's something equivalent to Kool Stop pads for disk brakes.

At least give it a shot, could save you a lot of cash.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good idea Fishman. I will definitely try it. Wonder how they'll work in winter? Probably no better in winter than stock pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.