Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Hope Mono Mini disc brakes with 160mm rotors. For 29'er x-country use, will my brakes be under powered with only 160mm rotors?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
If they were underpowered on your 26" bike...

...then they'll be underpowered on your 29er. Otherwise, the big wheels do not decrease the performance of your brakes in any measurable way (yes, the wheels are a TINY bit heavier, but the total rider/bike weight doesn't change much). Some folks think the increased traction on the 29er means you'll want a bit more stopping power, though (I tend to disagree on this one, but that's just me). More brakes is usually better than not enough brakes, so if you're not sure, err on the side of too big.

And many 29er folks, of course, are big people, and hence want big discs. If you've got the brakes, try 'em out and see. If not, ask other riders around your size for recommendations.

-Walt

·
Brakes?
152 Posts
Bigger is better...

Personally,

I'm running 160mm discs on my Van Dessel. If I could do it again, I'd get 180mm front/ 160 rear, not sure I'd need the 200mm's, but a 180 on the front would be nice.

My opinion. I think it's a combination of traction, and slightly more brake swept area desired.

JohnnyD
StL's #1 Trail Pimp since 1997

703 Posts
Too Heavy

I'm 225 lbs, and I found the 160 rotors did not provide the stopping power I needed...I ditched them for V's, but 180's would definitely be better.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
My avid 160's are totally fine but

My avid mechs 160's are totally fine and I'm 190#'s. There are no hills around here tho, if you're blasting down 3000ft descents then maybe something bigger would be better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you still have the disc brakes?

MichiganClydesdale said:
I'm 225 lbs, and I found the 160 rotors did not provide the stopping power I needed...I ditched them for V's, but 180's would definitely be better.
I think you are the first rider I have ever heard or seen say, that v's work better than Disc brakes. Are they for sale? What kind and condition? Do you take Pay-pal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Avid 160's have really good stopping power. They also have a great feel to them vs rim brakes. I can lock 'em up on the pave' with 1 finger. 6' 3" / 235#

703 Posts
Don't Misinterpret

2tricky said:
I think you are the first rider I have ever heard or seen say, that v's work better than Disc brakes. Are they for sale? What kind and condition? Do you take Pay-pal?
I didn't say the V's were better, I just said I was really disappointed with the 160s, and went back to V's (as opposed to affording 180's). I sold the Avid Mechanicals on ebay a while back. But really, the Avid Arch Rival 4.0 V's on my supercal are phenomenal brakes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im sure you all know That Avid Mechs are .....

MichiganClydesdale said:
I didn't say the V's were better, I just said I was really disappointed with the 160s, and went back to V's (as opposed to affording 180's). I sold the Avid Mechanicals on ebay a while back. But really, the Avid Arch Rival 4.0 V's on my supercal are phenomenal brakes.
easily upgraded using a $10 adapter
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR6960
And a $35 rotor
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR6908
Thats just for the front. With the ability to lock up the rear on pavement with the 160 I dont think most need a 185 in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts