Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from NY, but I visit family once a year out in AZ. I was curious if many have Disc brakes out in AZ. I'm assuming most would use it for down hill but don't have to worry much about mud. ;) I bought Disc brakes with a new bike and I'm thinking about switching over to V-brakes. There lighter, easier to maintain and I don't do downhill or ride in the mud or wet conditions.
Thoughts?

G

·
bwheelin said:
I'm from NY, but I visit family once a year out in AZ. I was curious if many have Disc brakes out in AZ. I'm assuming most would use it for down hill but don't have to worry much about mud. ;) I bought Disc brakes with a new bike and I'm thinking about switching over to V-brakes. There lighter, easier to maintain and I don't do downhill or ride in the mud or wet conditions.
Thoughts?
People still use V-Brakes?:skep:

I pretty much think Discs are the standard out here for all types of riding, those little rubber V-Brake pads have a tendency to melt in the 120 degree temps out here:D

I think the bigger debate out here is Mechanical Discs VS. Hydros.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
I still use V's on my race bike, but my the Epic I am building up with have disc....bwheelin...I don't think there is that much of a weight savings with v-brakes.

Disc allow you to wait until the last moment to brake into corners but the lack of anything wet in Phoenix certainly allow you to easily run V's.

I run XT V's on my Stumpy racer but will run Hayes Strokers on my Epic racer when that is built.

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
What's a V-brake? Oh yes, those devices that went the way of the Dodo bird, and 8-Track players. Seriously, V-brakes are MORE maintenence, and they really aren't THAT much lighter. The advantages of disc brakes far out weigh any tiny weight penalty.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sixsixtysix said:
People still use V-Brakes?:skep:

I pretty much think Discs are the standard out here for all types of riding, those little rubber V-Brake pads have a tendency to melt in the 120 degree temps out here:D

I think the bigger debate out here is Mechanical Discs VS. Hydros.
I remember when I was talking the sales guy about Disc brakes. I didn't know much about them because I was living with V-brakes until my bike got stolen. Anyway he said Disc brakes will be on every bike in the future. You have a point with the 120 degree temps. :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
bwheelin said:
There lighter, easier to maintain and I don't do downhill or ride in the
You never go downhill?

What kind of brakes does your car have?

I haven't had to do anything to my hope brakes in about 3 years except change the pads 3x. How are v-brakes easier to maintain than that?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jayem said:
You never go downhill?

What kind of brakes does your car have?

I haven't had to do anything to my hope brakes in about 3 years except change the pads 3x. How are v-brakes easier to maintain than that?
Just to let you know, I don't compete or do races. I mean I don't go down steep hills. I see your point though. Disc brakes are new to me and I was thinking about making the switch to V-brakes, I guess from just being used to them. I didn't know disc brakes are less maintenance. :confused:

G

·
bwheelin said:
Just to let you know, I don't compete or do races. I mean I don't go down steep hills. I see your point though. Disc brakes are new to me and I was thinking about making the switch to V-brakes, I guess from just being used to them. I didn't know disc brakes are less maintenance. :confused:
What kind of discs came on your new bike? Are they mechanical or hydraulic?

Mechanicals are pretty maintenance free except for changing the cables just like a V Brake as they stretch/wear out along with the pads.

Hydro's do occasionally need maintenance such as bleeding the fluid, but its a once a year thing at most if your really using your brakes. Other than that its just as simple as replacing the pads as they wear out.:thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
bwheelin said:
I don't compete or do races either.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
What kind of discs came on your new bike? Are they mechanical or hydraulic?

Mechanicals are pretty maintenance free except for changing the cables just like a V Brake as they stretch/wear out along with the pads.

Hydro's do occasionally need maintenance such as bleeding the fluid, but its a once a year thing at most if your really using your brakes. Other than that its just as simple as replacing the pads as they wear out.:thumbsup:
You shouldn't even have to bleed hydros all that much.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
If I remember right, hydro gives you the most stopping power, mechanical disc next and then V's. I would say all brakes require some maintenance with really only bleeding of hydro's being difficult.

The Epic I am building will run hydros only because I like to experiment with new stuff. I have one bike with V's and two with mechanical disc brakes. I like how the mechanical disc brakes perform and wish my King V-brake hubs were disc.

G

·
GueroAZ said:
If I remember right, hydro gives you the most stopping power, mechanical disc next and then V's. I would say all brakes require some maintenance with really only bleeding of hydro's being difficult.

The Epic I am building will run hydros only because I like to experiment with new stuff. I have one bike with V's and two with mechanical disc brakes. I like how the mechanical disc brakes perform and wish my King V-brake hubs were disc.
While Hydros usually give you the most power depending on the rotor size, or if the calipers are 4 or 6 piston versions. They also give you the most modulation at the lever if they are set up properly allowing for a greater level of braking finesse.

Avid BB7 mechanicals with a 180 or 203mm rotor can rival the power of a lot of hydro's but again, the modulation and feel is different and the power is coming from your hand and not a hydraulic piston.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Where in NY? I am from WNY, moved here to Prescott in 2006. Our Mountains out here make the discs nice and I am with jayem, VERY little maintenance and of course they are strong. I like my Juicy 7's but maybe get Hope's next time. Where in AZ will you be visiting??

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tls36 said:
Where in NY? I am from WNY, moved here to Prescott in 2006. Our Mountains out here make the discs nice and I am with jayem, VERY little maintenance and of course they are strong. I like my Juicy 7's but maybe get Hope's next time. Where in AZ will you be visiting??
I live in Brooklyn. What's Prescott like? Are they building like crazy up there also? My brother and his family live up in North Phoenix, Desert Ridge.
I love the biking out there.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Really like living here! Yes, the area is growing and Phoenix just keeps sprawling - don't know where they will get their water from, but hey, responsibility is a Dinosaur these days! Riding up here is super this time of the year, Phoenix is HOT. Going camping in Flag tomorrow to beat the heat. PM me when you are coming out, would be happy to show you some of the trails. From where I am Sedona is just under 1 hour away too, Northern edge of Phx/Scottsdale is 1 hour, 20 minutes. Was in Brooklyn about 6 years ago, ate at a really nice place at Sheeps head bay, also got the "tour" of Bensonhurst. I really miss the great Italian food back there, glad Mom moved here too!!!!! Overall though I love it here, the people are Super and have made tons of great friends.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the meaning of HOT out there. I don't golf much anymore, but I golfed in 114 out there. Needless to say, I got a nice discount and I finished 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours. :)
Is Prescott growing like crazy also?

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Running Magura Marta SL's, and will never go back to V's (plus, I agree - they will likely only be available on Walfart bikes in the not-so-distant future - heck, they're even coming out with discs (but on front only? Wazzup with that?!)

Anyway - Magura's come with a 5-year warranty so supposedly do not need to be bled. I will say that after two years, I did have a master cylinder seal go on me - which did cause a catastrophic failure - but warranty covered replacement. Even though I had to come down Cherry Tank w/o a front brake (interesting), I would still choose hydro over mech - only other thing I've done is change pads.

Question: Is bleeding hydros any more difficult than bleeding a car? I would think it the same basic process (pump, open and squirt, close), and actually easier because with a bike, one person should be able to do it (whereas a car you need two - one at each end of the line).?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.