Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2012 Diamondback overdrive 29er hardtail with the medium frame 18". The first thing that needs upgrading i the brakes, it has the weakest mechanical disc breaks ive ever witnessed and the rotors are tiny. I was wondering if there are any good mehanical caliper/rotor combos that i can get both front and rear for under 200$, preferably with larger rotors so my bike will have substantial stopping power. I assume if i get mechanical brakes i dont need new levers. Also, if i get larger rotors than my current ones, will the caliper still mount up on my forks fine or will i need a seperate mounting kit or will it all for correctly?
Thanks,
Nikkolas

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

Shimano SLX-Zee RT66 6-Bolt Disc Rotor | Chain Reaction Cycles

This is what I did for under 200 which is the whole shebang. you could also get bb7's and rotors for about 120 bucks but I'd reccomend the speed dial 7's if you go that way. Those are only like 15-20 bucks too. Yes you will need the appropriate adapters as well. I'm 190 riding a hard tail 29er and just went from really crappy tektro mechanicals to these deore hydros 180 up front 160 rear and its made a world of difference

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I weigh 195 and also currently have tektros. But thanks for the help man i appreciate it. Are the lever housings universal fits with the shifter housings that i already have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm completely confused with the adapters. Some say IS, some say xtr specific, not sure on what i need for the shimano deores.

·
On wuss patrol
5,146 Posts
It looks like you have mehanicals ,go with some avid BB7's and some 180 rotors ,will work good.
This. About $120-$140 and comes with rotor sizes of your choice along with mounting hardware to go with that sized rotor. Should work with your current levers, cables and housings.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The adapters you need depends on your frame and fork. You likely dont need an adapter for your rear if you stay at 160. You will need one to go 180 up front but the type depends on if you have a post mount or is fork. You can just measure it and see. Is is 50 some mm and post mount is 73mm.

General consensus around the boards is you can't go wrong with Shimano hydros. The newer deores are the m615s which supposedly have increased stopping power over the older deore models and also they can accept Ice Tech pads which is a nice upgrade too. Hydros are going to come with levers and calipers but rarely with rotors. BB7's usually come with rotors and will work with your current levers.

My question would be how long have you been using your current set up? If you are due for new cables and housings and the upgrade to speed dial 7's then you are right around the price of the shimano deore's. I was in the same boat and decided I wanted to go with the silent self adjusting hydros over the bb7s. Everything I've read is that the BB7's give you major upgrade in power but you still have to adjust them as with any mechanical.

If you want hydros keep an eye out for shipping or 10% off coupons at Chain Reaction. Be aware if you order from wiggle or a uk site (Chain reaction included) that you have to choose right rear or sometimes you dont get the choice and get the reversed hoses.

I got free shipping and 10% off at Chain reaction. I was out the door for 165 with Deore's m615's, SLX 160 rotor and SLX 180 rotor and the xtr adapter. Shortened the hoses myself with some help in the brake forum. I couldn't be happier. I have infinitely more braking power and silent operation now.

It really depends on what you want to spend. Personally if I were you and wanted to spend up to 200 I would get two new rotors. That way you dont have to worry about any flaws in your tektro (crappier rotor) messing up your brand new set up

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have BB7's with 160's F/R and they do a great job. I rarely have to adjust them, and when i do, the speed dials make it easy, only takes a minute, and you can even do it on the trail if need be. I am 160lb, if you are 200+ maybe 180mm in the front would be beneficial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although i wanted to stay under 200$, i also wanted to spend as little as possible. I ended up getting the bb7's cause my levers and cables work fine and they seemed very good from what you guys told me and from the reviews, 180mm front and 160mm rear. My bike has the 51mm mounts which apparently are IS and thats what comes with the bb7's so that should work. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!
Nikkolas

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Definitely going to be a big difference from the tektros. Make sure you bed them in properly

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts