Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
lowmach said:
hello-

will i be able to bolt on any IS disc brakes to my 2002 sugar frame?

-low
yes you can. discbrakeadapters.com. Do not get the one that bolts to the chain stay. This adapter only works with very small calipers, possibly mangura's. I was not able to use it with my Avid's. You want the universal mount (I own both). I have used the universal one on my 99 ziggurat for over a year with perfect results with Juicy 7's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply and the link!

BTW: I do have magura brakes. I have no disc rear wheel yet, so I'm currently only running discs on front.

I saw all those mounting holes in the back triangle and assumed it would accept disc brakes.

I have a rear wheel on the way and started looking at those tabs a little closer.

Man the universal adapters are heavy at 123 grams. Oh well got get the discs up.

-low

·
adult onset ADHD
149 Posts
Disco adaptor

I would assume that it is the same frame mount as on my 2002 Fuel. I paid like 20$ for my adaptor from the LBS where I got the bike, it's from Trek. It's just a metal plate with 4 threaded holes. It bolted on with a couple of 8mm bolts that came with the kit.
It was a special order but they got it in in a week.

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
lowmach said:
thanks for the reply and the link!

BTW: I do have magura brakes. I have no disc rear wheel yet, so I'm currently only running discs on front.

I saw all those mounting holes in the back triangle and assumed it would accept disc brakes.

I have a rear wheel on the way and started looking at those tabs a little closer.

Man the universal adapters are heavy at 123 grams. Oh well got get the discs up.

-low
The holes on your chain stays are for a specific hayes brake. They still make them but I would still get the adapter. The universal adapter also will strengthen your rear left drop out plus it also will never allow your rear wheel to slip totally out if for some reason your rear skewer failed. Plus you can use any size rotors with it and any brakes just like if you had i.s. mounts.

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
I do have a brand new parallel monut adapter, the one that bolts to your chain stay and uses small calipers. I couldn't use it with my Avid's as I said. It weighs 45 grams according to their web page. I think I waited to long to return it so If you are interested let me know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
first you need

lowmach said:
hello-

-low
first you need a trek/fisher specific IS adapter, the holes in the drop out will not bolt up to any manufacturers mount, so you need the trek mount that makes it the 51mm IS.
from there you can mount a manufacturer mount and then the caliper.
the kit fisher has is out of stock, but the mounts are not, you can get the hardware from a hardware store and the mount through a trek or fisher dealer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats the one i need. i talked to my LBS and they did say the adapter was out of stock at the factory. saying not sure when they will have it again.

I did ask for part #87855. i will assume after reading the post above that this must be the # for the kit. I will call tomorrow and ask just for the adapter and see what part # comes up.

is that disc o mount aftermarket?

thanks for the help.

crimson: the parallel adapter from discbrakeadapter.com would not fit my app. i did contact them and they suggested ii try their universal mount and if it doesn't work then they will let me return it. i would like to try this trek part since i know it will work, but if i can't locate one then i will try the uni mount. thanks for your input.

-Low

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
crimson: the parallel adapter from discbrakeadapter.com would not fit my app. i did contact them and they suggested ii try their universal mount and if it doesn't work then they will let me return it. i would like to try this trek part since i know it will work, but if i can't locate one then i will try the uni mount. thanks for your input.

-Low[/QUOTE]

After I talked with Disc Brake adapters I don't think they are recommending the first mount to any Gf owners. However it could be a different system they switched to after my Zigg was made. I unfortunately took forever to try to return my first one. That one in the pic looks good. Give it a shot.

I know the Uni will work but the disco one looks like a great shot. Good Luck.

·
adult onset ADHD
149 Posts
Who uses brakes anyway?

lowmach said:
thats the one i need. i talked to my LBS and they did say the adapter was out of stock at the factory. saying not sure when they will have it again.

I did ask for part #87855. i will assume after reading the post above that this must be the # for the kit. I will call tomorrow and ask just for the adapter and see what part # comes up.

thanks for the help.

-Low
The Disc-o is the Trek P/N you mentioned. It comes with all the mounting hardware you need. If you can get it, great! It would be tough to have one fabricated without the drawing, then it would need to be CNC milled, due to the various thickness and ledges, then threaded.

·
Registered
236 Posts
out

lowmach said:

thanks for the help.

-Low
that kit has been out of stock for a while says my LBS, but the mount itself is in stock, you just have to buy the bolts seperately, make sure you have the shop source the part number of the seperate mount
as for all the confusion about what mount fits what,
sugars from 2001-2003 (sugars 29rs 2003-2006) (and low end sugars from 2004-2005)must use the kit 87855, trek IS adapter, no other company makes this adapter, 2004 and 2005 sugar team or race models with the disc compatible drop out already has the 51mm eyes dont require this mount, all you need is the manufacture mount to go from 51mm-74mm or no mount needed for 51mm brake calipers
hope this helps everyone.
fuels all need this mount from 2001-2005 (exc high end 2005-2006)
same goes for many hardtails from 2001-2005 and some 06's
the perks of working at a shop!!!!!!

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
2inthehole said:
sugars from 2001-2003 (sugars 29rs 2003-2006) (and low end sugars from 2004-2005)must use the kit 87855, trek IS adapter, no other company makes this adapter
Thanks for the info but what about 2000 Sugars?

·
2,548 Posts
lowmach said:
hello-

-low
Me say go disc front, v rear ...... less expensive, likely lighter (especially if you're bolting on an adaptor and all...). Rear disc brakes are overrated, imho....front disc is a "good idea":cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
no go

Crash_FLMB said:
Thanks for the info but what about 2000 Sugars?
2000 sugars didnt have a drop out that was compatible, even some of the early 2001's didnt either, mid 2001 was when they started adding them, but fisher will bond in a new drop out for you and repaint your swing for cheap if you're stuck with one of those.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm currently running discs on the front.

I did pick up a fisher/trek disc-o mount adapter off ebay this morning, so I hope to have discs operating at both wheels soon. Hopefully my martas will line up right.

thanks
-Low

·
Registered
1 Posts
My original 2002 "Fuel 80" frame cracked (V brakes front and rear) and was replaced with a 2005. I've seen where it was said that the high end 2005's were disc ready as they came with the Hayes 9 set up.
I've noticed that on my rear triangle is a cable guide for a disc brake, so I'm hoping I won't need the adapter. Anyone got any input on that? My new brakes are on the way..
JV The Fireguy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.