Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get some disc brakes for my SE Stout 29er. I have about 150 bucks.

I need a kit I assume. Should I just go for a rear brake?

Can I get something for about 150 or less?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Front brake is much more important that the rear. The majority of your available braking power is in the front brake. Plus rear v-brakes can actually be easier to adjust for the slot dropouts, so starting your upgrade with just the front is not a bad choice

You can get front and rear BB7s and rotors for around $100 and use the levers that came with your bike. You will need new cables and housing though. I think the extra adjustment of the Speed Dial 7 levers is good to have with the BB7s (another $30) but they will still work well without that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, it looks like Jensen has some greats deals on these.

How do I find out what size I need?
Sorry, I am fairly new to this.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
The kit will come with all the adapters and bolts to make it fit any disc ready bike. The rotor size you want depends on your weight and your riding. Most people riding XC can run 160mm front and 160mm back with no problems. If you are close to or over 200lbs and/or ride long steep downhills you probably want a bigger 185mm front rotor. Then again, I weigh 195 and rode with a 160mm front rotor on fairly large descents without a problem

·
Registered
235 Posts
Avids

I run a 185 mm rotor BB7 on the front and a 160mm rotor BB5 (leftover part) on my 2008 Stout. They work great, really no problems mounting on the brake tabs on the fork or rear triangle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, the Stout comes with a disc compatible hub. Check eBay as I found a set (complete front/rear setup w/rotors) of Shimano's for under $90. A 30 minute upgrade..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't forget new cables!

One thing: if you upgrade to disc brakes, you will need new brake cables. The Tektro levers work pretty well but because the original cables on the SE are the length necessary for rim brakes, you will need to buy new cables when you buy the disc brakes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
which SE stout do u have, mine is the 2008 model and the hubs were not disc ready, I actually rebuilt my front wheel with a disc hub so that I could put a front disc on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I vote Hayes Stroker if you look around you can probably get a deal on them. Better IMO than anything Avid and cheaper than Shimano.

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts