Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many people running rear disc brakes on SS bikes with Track Fork Ends (sometimes called rear entry horizontal dropouts). Never tried it, but want to. Is it a real hassle to change a rear flat (seems that you would have to loosen the caliper). Also, does anyone who does run a rear disc change gears often (ie for different trails/courses). It would seem that there may be a lot of extra hassle.

I guess I am posting reasons not to run a rear disc, and I would like why those that do, do.

I have plenty of people telling me its a pain in the arse and don't do it, so I want to hear the other side of the fence. (if we all listened to the masses we would probably be running gears)

Enlighten me.

thanks

Ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
i run a "guss" with rear entrys and avid mech 160mm discs and a white eno hub (not the essentric axle type). to change a flat i have to completely remove the axle bolts, (i am lucky these hubs do not have a threaded axle with a bolt to hold to the frame) this allows me to pull off the surley chain tentioner things and drop the wheel down and out of the caliper. no loosening of the caliper needed.
is this a pain? maybe sometimes but i've never had the chance to do it any other way.

with a hub that uses a threaded axle with bolts and the caliper had to be loosened during any flat or maintance process to get the wheel off... i would probably be searching for a different bike.cause, that would suck.

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Easy

I run 6" disc brakes on my Surly 1x1. I have no problems taking the wheel out or putting it back in. I've never had to touch my caliper bolts since I built the bike up.

For reference, I use Hayes HMX-1 mechanical disc brakes.

I switch between an 18 and 16 tooth cog as well.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
if....

loosening 2 extra 5mm bolts to change a flat is a big deal then I would tell you to go back to gears..!

Sorry for the rant, but I see this "complaint" posted all the time and just laugh my butt off, I mean how lazy can people be, it's 2 friggen bolts!

Now, if your a serious racer(or blowing big money on a custom frame), then maybe theres an arguement here for EBB instead.

I've ridden this way for 2 years now. I would recommend Avid's or some other cable brake to make it easy to adjust on the trail in case you mess things up. Neither my Spot frame or my 1x1 needed the rear axle bolts removed, just loosened. If you have the wheel far back in the forks then the Avid caliper can be left tight. I like to keep my rear wheel forward in the forks so I have to loosen the wheel and caliper bolts to do a flat change or gear change. I run large tires and normal, thick tubes, so flats are something I very rarely have.

One final note, since the front brake provides most of your braking power(as much as 90% of it) theres really no great argument for running rear discs. I choose rear disk more for riding in the winter than anything. Having your rims freeze up after a creek crossing then decending some tight twisty singletrack with no brakes is not fun. The discs work great in all conditions.

MC

unit said:
I see many people running rear disc brakes on SS bikes with Track Fork Ends (sometimes called rear entry horizontal dropouts). Never tried it, but want to. Is it a real hassle to change a rear flat (seems that you would have to loosen the caliper). Also, does anyone who does run a rear disc change gears often (ie for different trails/courses). It would seem that there may be a lot of extra hassle.

I guess I am posting reasons not to run a rear disc, and I would like why those that do, do.

I have plenty of people telling me its a pain in the arse and don't do it, so I want to hear the other side of the fence. (if we all listened to the masses we would probably be running gears)

Enlighten me.

thanks

Ken

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
MellowCat said:
loosening 2 extra 5mm bolts to change a flat is a big deal then I would tell you to go back to gears..!

Sorry for the rant, but I see this "complaint" posted all the time and just laugh my butt off, I mean how lazy can people be, it's 2 friggen bolts!
I used to agree, until I turned up late for a night ride with my bike in my car. Threw it together. Forgot to fit the rear brake properly, which then fell of, stuck in my rear wheel, and, er, oh, it was ugly.

Our production bikes have sliding dropouts which are set, then allow rear wheel removal as per a standard vertical dropout - no worries.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

sounds like a bit of extra work, but its worth it in some conditions.

as far as the rant MellowCat....fine, but you fail to realize that the reason i left gears is get back to the simplicity I had with a BMX bike, and to get a little piece of my youth back. Your rant/suggestion is way off. I want better performance and less hassle, that may be a lot to ask, but I got just that along with money savings when i went sans gears. regardless, thanks for the info, and sorry to repost a stupid question (im new here).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did....

pay for an ad for that advertisement? ;)

MC

I used to agree, until I turned up late for a night ride with my bike in my car. Threw it together. Forgot to fit the rear brake properly, which then fell of, stuck in my rear wheel, and, er, oh, it was ugly.

Our production bikes have sliding dropouts which are set, then allow rear wheel removal as per a standard vertical dropout - no worries.

·
Registered
885 Posts
same same

"i left gears is get back to the simplicity I had with a BMX bike, and to get a little piece of my youth back. Your rant/suggestion is way off."

My bmx bike took 4 bolts to be loosened to remove the wheel, so its actually the same from my perspective. Two chain tensioners, which had to be loosened(not like the cools ones we have now), and two wheel nuts, oh, and loosen the brake since it wasn't a disc, acutally more trouble.

Running a V-Brake with horizontal drop outs is a bigger hassle. If you change gears you either have a different length chain, or re-adjust your pads. With the disc you just slide the caliper and your done.

I'm just trying to keep you in perspective, thats all. Sorry if that bothers you.

MC

unit said:
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

"i left gears is get back to the simplicity I had with a BMX bike, and to get a little piece of my youth back. Your rant/suggestion is way off."

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesnt bother me. no need to be sorry. I did not run tensioners on BMX and if i did, I would be using them on a SS too. therefore, there are more nuts and posts to contend with as there were no disc mounts to move on the BMX.

I dont want to argue about this...I really do appreciate your insight, and may actually make the plunge now toward rear disc brakes.

BTW on my current set up, i do not have to re adjust the rear brake pads. My salsa rims have a huge braking surface and i only need to spin the barrel adjuster on my lever one turn (because the braking surfaces are not parallel) to switch between the 16 and 18 on the rear.

thanks again.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.