Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of moving from rim to disc brakes on my Fetish SS with horizontal dropouts, but have heard that there may be an issue with aligning the rear wheel and rear brake on the trail after a tire change or whatever. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

I've got Surly New SS hubs with a bolt-on rear and tug nuts for the rear.

Tx.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
waltaz said:
I'm thinking of moving from rim to disc brakes on my Fetish SS with horizontal dropouts, but have heard that there may be an issue with aligning the rear wheel and rear brake on the trail after a tire change or whatever. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

I've got Surly New SS hubs with a bolt-on rear and tug nuts for the rear.

Tx.
If the axle is living in the same spot of the dropout it won't be an issue. But if you change your gearing on the trail (I think you meant that, not your tire) you'll be changing the position of your axle and need to align the rotor/caliper.

The size of your tire has no effect on the length of your chain.

·
stop...safety first
258 Posts
I had that problem but it is easy to deal with. Either I loosen the nuts and move the wheel or I adjust the knobs on my avid brakes. Since Ive already had to loosen the brake in order to remove the wheel (fact of life with track drop outs) this is a minor thing. It definitely takes longer than a standard set-up. If you care. Half the time everything just lines up perfectly anyhow. Basically I get too many flats and wish I had less experience with this topic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Horizonal dropouts-disc brakes

I run Hope Mini's on my Bianchi DISS, which has horizonal dropouts. I changed the rear cog 3 times (17t-18t-19t) using the same chain. I never had any issues. I found that I did'nt even have to adjust my brake caliper. Technically, I probably should check the caliper- rotor adjustment, but I cant tell any difference in brake performance or pad wear. I also never had any issues during wheel changes.

I say, just switch over to disc's, I've been running disc's on all of my OR bikes since 1999, I dont think I'll ever go back to rim brakes.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Search the threads...

...it is highly dependent on your particular frame/caliper combo.

I've run Hope Minis (pre-Mono) on both a 1x1 and KM with zero issues - wheel pulls straight out, no fussing with caliper.

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.