Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have disc brakes and Horizontal Dropouts. I have never taken the rear wheel off since I bought the bike, but today I needed to change a flat. Well when I tried to take the wheel out I ran into a problem. When I try to pull the wheel out the top of the rotor runs into the top of the caliper. So do I have to unbolt the caliper in order to get the wheel out of the frame? There's gotta be a better way . . .

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nope, no better way. Some people have been lucky enough to find positions for the caliper such that the rotor clears it, but don't count on it. Personally, I don't think it's too big of a deal - just loosen the bolts, twist the caliper, and the wheel comes right out. At least that's the way it works on my Surly - no need to remove the caliper, just loosen.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
if your rotor has notches in it place one of the notches where it impacts the caliper body, you may be able to roll it out that way.

i had one frame set up where the rotor just barely made contact with the caliper body. i may (or may not) have notched the body ever so slightly to allow for unadjusted removal...maybe but i will deny it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i've got juicy 7's with the wavy rotors that allow me to remove my rear wheel without touching my brakes. just rotate the rotor to one of the "dips" and it slides right out of the caliper.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ricer said:
Okay I have disc brakes and Horizontal Dropouts. I have never taken the rear wheel off since I bought the bike, but today I needed to change a flat. Well when I tried to take the wheel out I ran into a problem. When I try to pull the wheel out the top of the rotor runs into the top of the caliper. So do I have to unbolt the caliper in order to get the wheel out of the frame? There's gotta be a better way . . .
I loosen the I guess you'd call them adjusting bolts for the caliper a few good turns and off they come, very simple and when I put it back on I squeeze the rear brake and tighten back down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.