Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have Hayes Sole Disc Brakes, the cheepest pair of hydrolic disc brake out there probably, and i was wondering if i upgraded, would i need to change anythign with my wheel or just buy the disc brakes and give it to my LBS to put on.

Thanks-Dave

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
MTBdave said:
Hey, I have Hayes Sole Disc Brakes, the cheepest pair of hydrolic disc brake out there probably, and i was wondering if i upgraded, would i need to change anythign with my wheel or just buy the disc brakes and give it to my LBS to put on.

Thanks-Dave
Hi Dave

Maybe you could ask in the Brake forum, but as far as I know, I think it is likely that depending on the current brakes, you could just buy new ones that could addapt to the hubs you have. What I think you need to look at is at the hub and see how it is attached to the disc. My Hayes-9 have 6 bolts, and I think that it is likely your's do as well.

I think Shimano has a new standard, in which you would need to replace the hubs. I think you can search for brakes that have the same standard as your current and just switch them.

My .02

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Hi Dave, didn't mean it as you're asking the question in the wrong forum, sorry if my response implied it. It's just that I think that maybe there may be a better answer than mine. But, thinking on it, I think this forum is more visited than the brake's, so maybe it is a good place. Have a great day!

MTBdave said:
alright thanks, ya sorry about posting this in the wrong forum, i kinda forgot there was a brakes when and right when i hit the "POST" button i was like wooops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol its alright man no offense taken.....but if anyone else has done something like this by switchign brands or anythign on disc's, i would liek to know what they had to get extar to do it....it woudlnt matter but im tight on money to spend on my bike and i wana know exactly how much i need

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
MTBdave said:
lol its alright man no offense taken.....but if anyone else has done something like this by switchign brands or anythign on disc's, i would liek to know what they had to get extar to do it....it woudlnt matter but im tight on money to spend on my bike and i wana know exactly how much i need
Anyway, don't you like your brakes? Or just want to go to a better brakes?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
You will be able to switch to a wide variety of different braking systems. The only restriction is the new shimano stuff. They decided it would be a good idea for you to need shimano "centre lock" hubs. These attatch the rotor to the hub in a diffenent way. There are many quality systems out there, so don't worry about shimano. Unless you need new hubs, there is no reason to switch them just to accomidate shimano brakes.

I would like to hear your comments on the so1e brakes though. They are OEM on a lot of bikes, and being new for 2005 I have not read much info on them.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
rkj__ said:
I would like to hear your comments on the so1e brakes though. They are OEM on a lot of bikes, and being new for 2005 I have not read much info on them.
Well I can let you knwo how mine feel - got em on my '05 Trance3. They work pretty good so far for me, I haven't bled them or anything, just used em as they came on the bike from my dealer. I have had to adjust the adjusters in quite a bit, but that could be due to the pads being kinda soft and wearing down fairly quick or I need to bleed them.

I managed a fall and bent 1 rotor real bad but managed to straighten it back out so it's useable and the other rotors is a bit off perfectly true, but only miniscule and I don't feel it in the brakes when I apply them-do feel it in the 1 that was badly bent and need to replace the rotor as soon as I can get one.

MtbDave you need not worry, the HAYES so1e disc brakes are standard 6 bolt system that is used by a lot of manufacturers so you have a wide selection to choose from. I'd consider using them till they need replacing then think about it. Aren't they working good enough for you right now? Or is this a bling / brag factor, you don't like having the lowest end product on your bike?

My only concern with these brakes is where the hell do I find the replacement pads for them? I can't seem to find them anywhere online, haven't seen any circular disc pads actually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.