Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my 2001 Sugar 1 to disc brakes.

I would like suggestions for a high quality and light weight setup for xc racing. I've never used disc brakes, so any other advice is appreciated...cable vs. hydraulic?

Also, the wheelset I'm looking says they are center locks. I don't know exactly what that means.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I like my Martas

I'd go hydro. You have center loc hubs which means you need to use centerloc compatable discs like shimano XT or XTR, OR you could buy adaptors that convert centerloc hubs to IS 6 bolt style. Then you could use any disc brake. DT makes some and they were reviewed on MB Action a while back. However they are about 35 bucks each. If you check out the threads on this board you will see lots of opinions on brakes but people do seem to like XTR calipers. I've had marta SLs for about 2 months now and they are fantastic.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
It has to be now?

I would suggest you to wait a little. Shimano is selling the new xtr not dual control brake system after the summer.I think should be a worth consider option.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't wait

go riding with a new set of Formula K24's. They are great brakes and I love mine. Everything works and you'll be stopping like never before. No one goes back to V-brakes unless they have a brakeless fixed gear track bike in the garage (which means they lack reason and logic!)
The Formula's have less problems than other brands of brakes and they are designed with excellent engineering for great stopping ability. In addition they just happen to be very light.

Cheers,

Kane

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went with the Formula Ora K18s, and am very happy with them. The only item the 24s have over the 18s is feel adjust. Going to the Puros gets you a weight loss plan. If you realy think you need the feel adjust, then pony up for the 24s, otherwise, the 18s are identical for a nice price break. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.