Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post...

Just bought a GF Wahoo Disc. It has Shimano M415 disc brakes I believe...

My front brake is unable to lock up like my rear. Can this be adjusted?

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
bcody said:
1st post...

Just bought a GF Wahoo Disc. It has Shimano M415 disc brakes I believe...

My front brake is unable to lock up like my rear. Can this be adjusted?

Thanks for the help...
When braking most of your weight transfers to the front wheel.

This means that the front wheel will always be harder to lock up with the same brake and same size rotor because it is doing most of the braking.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Generally you don't want to lock up either wheel. Locking up the front will (atleast for me) place my face nicely into the ground. Locking the rear wheel makes fun slides but can destroy the trails, use sparingly.

Have you tried leaning far back getting weight off the front then hitting the brake?

dogonfr might be on to something. Older brakes might have contaminated pads or just need a solid bleed to perform better.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I think...

what dogonfr is refering to is break in. Brand new disc brakes do take some time to get to their "best" level of performance. New rotors and pads need a few rides to bed in. Depending on how often you ride and how you use your brakes it can take up to a dozen or so rides before the bedding process is complete. And as Renovatio noted, the physics of braking do make it more difficult to lock up the front when using the same size rotor front and rear. The Wahoo disc comes with Shimano 416 mechanical disc brakes and 160mm rotors front and rear. The front has no mechanical advantage over the rear brake. So as weight shift forward under braking it would tend to add weight and traction to the front wheel and keep in turning rather than locking up. And again as noted, not really a bad thing in most cases. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reponses...

The bike/brakes are brand new. They may just need some time then I guess. And maybe not having them lock up could save some embarassment later. :)

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dogonfr said:
Squash is like a mind reader. :thumbsup:

How much do you weight. :)
I weigh 195.

I guess the real question would be, should my front brake be able to lock up? Or are these just entry level brakes on a entry level bike?

Thanks again guys. I think I spent a total of 4 hours on this forum last night soaking it all in!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Good, properly working brakes should be able to lock up the front wheel. This does not mean it is desirable to lock the front wheel when offroad, but you still should have the ability. Since it is a new bike you may need to simply bed in the pads with several stops. These are mechanical discs right? A lot of cheap mechanical disc brakes simply lack the power to lock the front wheel. You can try adjusting them for more power. Since most mechanical discs only move one pad and flex the rotor into the other pad, it is best to have the inboard pad (the non-moving one) as close to the disc as possible with out rubbing. You also want to adjust the lever so that the brake contact point is at a point of maximum leverage at the lever. Also what type of cables are you using, this can make a huge difference in stopping power with mechanical discs. You want a high quality housing that is resistant to compression. Also the bike shop may not have put lubricant in the cable housing, so there is more friction. Teflon coated cables help a lot also.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
At 195 with 6" rotors going down steeps could use a 7 or 8" rotor on the front. :)

Have the shop double check the caliper adjustment making sure your getting as close to even contact as possible on the rotor. As mentioned earlier these are not the best mechanical brakes on the market. If the pads are broken in and the caliper adjusted properly and your still having problems I would suggest the Avid BB5 or BB7 which ever is within your price range. :thumbsup:

http://www.spadout.com/b/Avid/mechanical-disc-brake-system/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.