Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with adjusting my disc brakes. The bike is an 01 Jamis Eureka. The front caliper is the stock mechanical Formula, and the rear was replaced last year with a mechanical Sr. SunTour (DB-XCC-MC).

I am able to adjust the pad position and cable tension to operate properly (or so I think). The problem I am having is that they do not bite hard anymore. I am unable to lock the front or rear wheel.

I was experiencing this problem last year, and my LBS replaced the rear caliper. They were unable to adjust the caliper to bite hard as well.

As of now, the front and rear brakes behave exactly the same. Brake lever has a nice feel, and the pads are gripping, but it takes much longer than it should to slow the bike down.

I am beginning to wonder if it is possible for the rotors to wear down. It seems to me that I can not get the pads close enough to the disc without running out of travel.

I realize that both calipers are mediocre, but I know that they worked much better the bike was new.

Is there something else that I may be overlooking? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds to me like you need new pads. The rotors shouldn't wear out but maybe they are glazed. Replace the pads first, if not, get some 400-800 grit sandpaper and buff up the rotors and or just clean them with rubbing alcohol. You might have gotten a film on them. Clean the pads as well while your at it, if you didn't replace them.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
Mechanicals can be very finicy. How exactly are you adjusting them to become tighter? You may have run out of barrel adjustment is my guess and oyu need to tighten the cable at the allen bolt of the caliper to take in more cable.

Avid mechanicals are the only mechanicals i personally don't mind working on. Most others don't seem to work right or are very finicky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.