Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to the board. I've been reading some of the threads and have found that there are a lot of cool people on this board with a lot knowledge in regards to Turner bikes. Accordingly, I was hoping you guys can help me with my question.

I have an old XCE and am ready to upgrade to disc brakes. However, I am not quite sure how to upgrade to a disc brake on my XCE. I was looking at my bike and was comparing the rear triangle to the newer Turners and noticed that I do not have a place to screw on a disc brake. I think I might need to get an adaptor. Can someone help me on this.

If someone can show me how to attach a picture, I can post a picture of my XCE.

Thanks!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Long ago, in a very dark age, there were no disc brakes. Bikes had no way of attaching brakes which had not yet been developed, so they lacked the appropriate mounts. Then discs came out and they were rare, but at least an option. Turner started to add threaded holes on the non-drive-side rear dropout onto which you could bolt Turner's own International Standard 51mm or Hayes 22mm adapter, so you could mount a brake if you so chose. They continued this up until 2002 after which the disc mount became a permanent part machined into the dropout. (Sometime prior to 2002, the rear cantilever studs on the seat stays went from being welded on to bolt on, so that if you did decide to go with discs, you would not have those hideous vestigial blobs nastying up the stays.)

First look at the rear, non-drive-side (left) dropout and look for one threaded hole going laterally through the dropout above the wheel axle slot, and another on top of the dropout about 2" up towards the seat stays. If these holes exist, you can maybe find the adapter someplace to bolt onto those holes and voila, you are set. I seriously doubt Turner has those any more, but you may find someone here willing to part with one (no, you can't have mine).

If you don't have those holes, you are screwed. Then the best option is to give Turner a call and ask them nicely to sell you an entire new seatstay assembly. It should bolt right on replacing your current seatstays providing your XCE is not super ancient (who knows, the current seatstays may be be backwards compatible all the way back). I don't know how much a seatstay costs. Call Turner and ask.

The last option is to go through BrakeTherapy.com and get one of their floating disc brake kits. That would be the absolute last resort.

Post a pic of the rear left dropout if you need help identifying what you have. Good luck.

PS post a pic of your bike anyway. We love retro Turners as much as shiny new ones!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
old

We actually have a few of the Int. Std bolt on caliper mounts. I even found a Hayes 22 (used) that I threw in with them for old times sake. At one time we made the adapter for Hope and Magura also, as they were all different back in the day....

If you do not have the 2 mounting holes above the left drop out, you have an old frame. Send pictures for positive I.D. I think we started that bolt on style around 98.
If you do not have the mounting holes you will need a new seat stay, and the new seat stay will not work with the narrower Horst pivots of the last century. So a whole new rear end is required. Yes it will work after that, the geometry would be altered a tiny amount.

DT

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I've got one.

I have a 51 mm adapter if you've got the mounting hole in your stay. I'll send it to you for shipping costs. PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
Post a pic of the rear left dropout if you need help identifying what you have. Good luck.

PS post a pic of your bike anyway. We love retro Turners as much as shiny new ones!
I am kinda new to posting in general. How do you attach a jpeg?
PS - thanx so much for the information!

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
nykat said:
I am kinda new to posting in general. How do you attach a jpeg?
PS - thanx so much for the information!
When the "reply to thread" box is on your screen below that is an "additional options box". Click the "upload images" button and then hit the "browse" button to find the image to upload.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how to bolt on adaptor?

Hello!

Well, after all the great info everybody gave me (btw, thnx ya all) on this thread, I finally went to my LBS and luckily, got myself an IS disc adaptor for my XCE. One bolt, as Tscheesy had mentioned bolts down on top of the seat stay and the other bolt, well again as Tshceezy had correctly suggested, bolts sideways on the dropout.

Now that I have my adaptor installed, I am running to my LBS tomorrow to grab me a set of Hope Mini Mono. They are currently on sale for I think $140 something. I read some reviews and mostly the main complain is that they get very loud on long descents when they heat up. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to make them quite? Also, I would appreciate your suggestions on any disc brakes in the same price point.

PS - I am 195 lbs and ride mostly aggresive XC with lots of fire road climbing. So, I am basically looking for a brake with very good stopping power, modulation and not too heavy.

Thanks again!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I think the Hopes mainly get implicated for making noise when they get wet. Brake squeal from discs can be very problematic and no brand is immune. That said, Hopes are pretty much synonomous with horrible wet condition squeal.

Your other choices include:
Hayes- the industry standard for consistant good performance though they lack in lever feel and modulation in my opinion. Get them if you want to go the safe, tried and true route. Various aftermarket pads are available, some combo of which will probably solve any noise issues. $125 per brake and up depending on model. (I have demoed bikes with these though not owned them)
Hope Mono Mini- chi-chi, light, pretty, they have a loyal following. Limited after market pads right now. Major wet weather noise. (I have demoed bikes with these though not owned them)
Avid Juicy- (my personal choice) the best feeling, modulating, fade resistant, powerful brake I have ever used. They can make wet weather noise like all others, but Avid's B4 pads or EBC Gold pads help in this regard. Avid's recent rotor offerings have been problematic due to rough grabby edges. Easily solved with a file, but it should not be necessary to begin with. They are currently unobtainable due to demand. $150 and up per brake depending on who you buy from. (My brakes)
Magura Marta- the lightest. Highly rated, good modulation and decent power. People report bleed problems and inconsistant performance, but when they work they sound great. Fast pad wear and few pad choices. Very expensive. There are other Maguras out there too. (No personal experience with these)
Shimano- the new brakes integrate with the current flippy levers. Other levers are available, but piecing a system together may be more than you want to do. (No personal experience with these)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Disc Options

nykat said:
Hello!

Well, after all the great info everybody gave me (btw, thnx ya all) on this thread, I finally went to my LBS and luckily, got myself an IS disc adaptor for my XCE. One bolt, as Tscheesy had mentioned bolts down on top of the seat stay and the other bolt, well again as Tshceezy had correctly suggested, bolts sideways on the dropout.

Now that I have my adaptor installed, I am running to my LBS tomorrow to grab me a set of Hope Mini Mono. They are currently on sale for I think $140 something. I read some reviews and mostly the main complain is that they get very loud on long descents when they heat up. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to make them quite? Also, I would appreciate your suggestions on any disc brakes in the same price point.

PS - I am 195 lbs and ride mostly aggresive XC with lots of fire road climbing. So, I am basically looking for a brake with very good stopping power, modulation and not too heavy.

Thanks again!
What I can add to this is experience with shimano bits. I have used XT, XTR and more XTR brakes. With everything, hoses, calipers, levers, you can peice together a brake setup for around $325.00. Close to the hope minis $280.00, without the squealing. Hopes squeal, even when dry. I've had friends that have used them, I like to let them ride way ahead of me. It does scare away many of the dangerous animals, as a bonus.

Pick up a set of XT or Deore levers, the deores are lighter and cheaper, but a bit more plasticy feeling. Grab some XTR calipers with the six bolt rotors, some brake lines, and you're done.

Minimal fade, great feel, good stopping power. And I'm not lightweight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
need to do more research

Well, I have decided to hold off getting my disc brakes for a little bit. After all the great insights, I feel I need to do a little bit more research just to make sure I get the best disc brakes for my needs.

Thanks again!

PS - I tried to upload one picture (in jpeg format) but the file was to large. Is there a way to convert or decrease the size of a file?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Nykat

If you don't have the mounting holes I have a the ISO brakestay you need.

I had a 96' XCE that didn't have the mounting holes. I bought a new brakestay from Turner that has the dedicated ISO mount with no V post mounts.

It's polished and in perfect condition! If your interested let me know.

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brakes on an XCE

I just got a set of the Hope Mono Minis with 180mm rotors for my XCE. They are beautifully made. Cannot talk to the noise, as I haven't had a chance to put them to the full test yet. I had Avid Mechanicals and I liked them a lot, but they are significantly heavier if that matters to you. Jury is still out for me on whether hydro or mechanical is better. Maybe it's that I'm used to the mechanical feel, but hydro is just so lacking in feel at the lever--you know you're slowing down, but you don't get the feel that you can feather the brakes in the same way so as to prevent lock up. We'll see if that changes as I get used to them. Me personally, I wouldn't hesitate recommending either the Avid or Hope Mono minis.

Good luck

nykat said:
Hello!

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.