Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding any decent 29er rim thats wide enough for my preference thats not disc-only. I have a front Avid BB7 that I dont use because i never really like its performance over my V-brakes (it was actually worse in some conditions), but I'm considering putting it on my bike in order to be able to use a disc-only front wheel.

I would be putting it on my Karate Monkey with the KM fork, and my question is, can I use a bigger rotor then it came with? I want to use a 185mm rotor but it came with a 160mm. The stock rotor is all bent to hell so I would want to replace it regardless of what size i got.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Slurry said:
I am having a hard time finding any decent 29er rim thats wide enough for my preference thats not disc-only. I have a front Avid BB7 that I dont use because i never really like its performance over my V-brakes (it was actually worse in some conditions), but I'm considering putting it on my bike in order to be able to use a disc-only front wheel.

I would be putting it on my Karate Monkey with the KM fork, and my question is, can I use a bigger rotor then it came with? I want to use a 185mm rotor but it came with a 160mm. The stock rotor is all bent to hell so I would want to replace it regardless of what size i got.

Thanks
yep, you can run a 185 or 203mm rotor, just need the proper adapter.

as for rim brake compatible rims, what about something like the rhyno lite or WTB dualduty FR?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea aside from the Rhynolite, the dual duty FR was the only wide 29er rim brake rim I could find. It just seems so overkill for a trail bike, and though i was considering getting it and rebuilding my front wheel, I see so many cheep disc front wheels at my LBS(s) and on ebay, so I thought i might give it a try.

Ok so I just need an adaptor then. Perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.