Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little cleaning on my bike and spinning the front wheel when I stuck my finger in the disc. I ripped off part of middle fingers nail. I feel so :eek: but that smarts like nothing else :(

Note to self: fingers brakes= very bad

·
Registered
649 Posts
This reminds me of when a friend of mine was cleaning his motorcycle chain while it was on a stand in gear with the engine running. Bet you can't guess what happened!! ;)
Poor dude nearly lost two fingertips (actually almost three) after they made a round trip around the rear sprocket underneath the chain!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Awhile back I took my car into the shop because one of the rotors was pulsing and making a funny noise. When I got it back, the manager told me that my car had cost one of his mechanics half of a finger because he had decided to try to diagnose the pulsing rotor by putting his finger on it while another guy spun the wheel.

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Don't feel bad...

I did the same thing last year about a week into getting my first set of discs. Was justtrying to adjust the caliper to get everthing centered and spinning the while when, OUCH! Went about halfway through my fingertip and nail on my index finger. Learned that lesson really quick though and haven't had anything close since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OUCH !! I did the same on my Cannondale F600 and proceeded to slam my bike into the wall shouting FUDGE (sp) at the top of my lungs. Basically I caught the tip of my finger into the slits on the brake... oi

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Just what the heck were you thinking ????

Alright, I'll be the bad guy and say it. Why, why, why ??? I am just amazed that you would have tried it and stunned you would even post what you did.......

Next time you come down a hill, stop and feel it to see how "warm" it can get.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Disk brakes are fun when your not thinking or fall off your bike.

I fell from my MTB coming down a steep sandy washed out corner, fell big time, and decided to place my finger on the side of my disk brake when getting off the ground. It burnt right through my glove and into the depths of my finger. It was agonising. :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the stressed phone call one day,

Brother was working on his bike and took off a nice bit of flesh on his fingertip.

Took him to the hospital for that. All good now, but at the time it made for some good marks on the driveway :eek:

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.