Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
perhaps a dumb question ... but ;-) i am looking to build up some new
wheels. i have a hardtail with disc brake mounts but still use the
v-brakes. can i use hubs that are for disc brakes - but still use
v-brakes (with the right rims of course)? i dont want to pop for disc
brakes just yet, but would like to be able to upgrade to disc without replacing the wheels/hubs later on...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
nevdull said:
perhaps a dumb question ... but ;-) i am looking to build up some new
wheels. i have a hardtail with disc brake mounts but still use the
v-brakes. can i use hubs that are for disc brakes - but still use
v-brakes (with the right rims of course)? i dont want to pop for disc
brakes just yet, but would like to be able to upgrade to disc without replacing the wheels/hubs later on...
Disc brake wheels need a much higher spoke tension.. I guess it shouldn't be a problem with a high quality rim. But still, that could be a issue.
I'd say go disc brake all out and get proper rims made for discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Of course.

I did it.
I run my hope xc hub and 717 rim with v-brake before.
You have two more options that you can upgrade to disc later on or sale your hubs.
The disadvantage is the slight weight penalty.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Poetic_Dancer said:
Disc brake wheels need a much higher spoke tension...
BULL-SHE-IT! Disc brake wheels need proper tension, just like rim brake wheels. The tension is not any higher.

Radial spoke lacing should not be used on disc wheels. Other than that, wheels are wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
shiggy said:
BULL-SHE-IT! Disc brake wheels need proper tension, just like rim brake wheels. The tension is not any higher.

Radial spoke lacing should not be used on disc wheels. Other than that, wheels are wheels.
I've never had a bike with such tightly tightened spokes as this disc brake bike..
But actually, this very site suggests high spoke tension =)

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Poetic_Dancer said:
I've never had a bike with such tightly tightened spokes as this disc brake bike..
But actually, this very site suggests high spoke tension =)

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml
Yes, it does say to use high tension in the "Common Sense" section.
It does not say "...Disc brake wheels need a much higher spoke tension..." than other wheels. Well built wheels always have high spoke tensions.

On a side note, the fewer spokes in a wheel, the higher the tension on each spoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Well, me too ...

I just got my new set of wheels. I ride with Vs but wanted to keep the disc option open.
Built the DT 4.1 on the new LX hubs. the hubs are CenterLock so the weight penalty is minimal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
shiggy said:
Yes, it does say to use high tension in the "Common Sense" section.
It does not say "...Disc brake wheels need a much higher spoke tension..." than other wheels. Well built wheels always have high spoke tensions.

On a side note, the fewer spokes in a wheel, the higher the tension on each spoke.
Alrighty then, oh mighty god of spokes =)
Guess I've never met a bike with good rims and v-brakes before =p
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top