Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I never had disc brakes before and just purchased a specialized comp disc. I have been riding for years without disc's. On the new bike I noticed that disc brakes are making a hissing sound at about 10mph or more. Is this a normal sound that disc brakes make? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sounds like maybe your discs need adjusting, take it back to the shop and have them check and adjust them for you.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Agreed with Lynxs sounds like you have some slight rotor drag and it gets louder as the speed increases, all it needs is a quick adjustment your LBS should do it for free since you just bought the bike from them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are they making the hiss only when you are braking? Mine make a kind of hissing sound while braking, and I think that is normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, they start to hiss a little bit around 10mph when not braking. They brakes themsleves work great but it seem like there is to much friction when not braking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If they're mechanical discs, you may just have to back off the brake cable a bit to loosen the grip on the disc. On my Hayes MX2 brakes, any adjustments are a easy as loosening the bolt, adjusting the cable as needed, and tightening it up again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts