Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for production bikes that are geared, rigid and disc brakes. would rather not buy a entry level hardtail and swap forks. looking to spend around 500. the bike will be for commuting. rear rack mounts would be good too. i poked around bikes direct and they dont have any that fit this description. any suggestions appreciated

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
You could build an Access XCL 9r from Performance with a rigid fork for under $500 (maybe) if you shopped around the usual suspect big discount internet sites for parts. Has fender/rack mounts...I'm building one for a trail bike, but I toyed with the idea of selling my commuter and building this up as the new commuting machine.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
reptilezs said:
d440 from redline looks close but i need a FD, 48t ring, and shifter too. doesnt look like it has rack mounts/eyelets either.
Unfortunately, there are very few 29ers that have eyelets for racks and fenders. Anything that is sub-$500 and has eyelets is generally a hybrid/cross bike.

How about a Kona Smoke? Not necessarily a true XC 29er, but I've read that some owners do take them off-road with success. It definitely fits your price point and has all the rack/fender attachments you could want.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
The GT Peace 9er Multi is a great bike and it's on closeout right now. I'd get a better frame and forego rack eyelets. You don't need eyelets to mount a rack, just a $10 hardware kit to clamp around your stays. That'd be a great bike for commuting and off roading. I love my Peace 9er.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.