Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

so after 2 years of use I've decided to upgrade my bike (a Trek 4900) and I'm thinking of putting discs on it. But how do I tell if its disc compatible, I know its a stupid question but I'd like to be sure. I'm thinking of putting on some Avid BB 5's or 7's. Thanks for any help.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Couple of things to check for

kris_flatlander said:
Hi everyone,

so after 2 years of use I've decided to upgrade my bike (a Trek 4900) and I'm thinking of putting discs on it. But how do I tell if its disc compatible, I know its a stupid question but I'd like to be sure. I'm thinking of putting on some Avid BB 5's or 7's. Thanks for any help.
First, look at the hubs to see if they are disc compatible. More than likely, if the bike came with rim brakes, the hubs are not disc compatible. If this is the case, assume you're going to spend money on a new wheel set. Secondly, check the fork and frame for disc caliper mounting tabs. If the bike's only two years old, there's a good chance they have the mounting tabs. If it doesn't, then you're probably looking at purchasing a whole new bike.

Best wishes,

Clyde

·
It's all ball bearings
223 Posts
You Need The Trek adapter

to mount the rear caliper- I bolts up to your LH rear dropout- Any decent Trek dealer will have it in stock or can order it - I have a 2 year old 4900 which uses the same part

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.