Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm looking for a new frame to base a new commuter build around to replace and ancient Trek I have been riding.

Here is the criteria I think needs to be filled:

Available in frameset only
700c wheels
Disc brakes
Clearance for a road compact crank
Flat MTB bars (read long TT compared to ST here...)

My number one pick right now is a Salsa Vaya frameset followed by a Soma Double Cross Disc...OR I guess I could use a 26" rigid frame and fork and stuff the 700c wheels in there but that just seems wrong somehow. Any thoughts here?

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
On topic:

I built an Access 29er from Performance Bike for my commuter... It meets all of your criteria. My compact double crankset (50/36) clears the chainstay, but wow...it's close. I've been riding it for a couple years with no issues.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Its building up to be a Gem, but I sacrified 700c wheels. this bike still seems like its gonna be a heck of a Commuter!
Just to be clear, you sacrificed 700Cs. The frame would support them fine.

A while ago, I was thinking it would be cool to do all my speed work on my XC bike with road wheels. I tried sticking my road bike's front wheel in the fork, which is the tightest clearance on my bike, to see if it would fit. There's a lot of clearance with a 23mm tire. It's a little funky looking, but IMO not nearly as bad as 26" wheels with 1" slicks. The outside diameters of 700C wheels with road slicks and 26" wheels with knobbies are more similar than 700C with road slicks vs. 29er knobbies, so I actually think that on a disc build, 700C road wheels in a 26" frame are less wrong than in a 29er frame. You can also tweak the head angle of a hardtail frame with a shorter axle-crown fork if you want to to get a little lower bottom bracket and snappier, more "road" handling. It would take a seat post with a lot of setback to make things fit right for a lot of us at that point.

Didn't end up following through on that project. I didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a set of wheels when I already have a perfectly good road bike.

·
A God Without A Name
1,326 Posts
Just to be clear, you sacrificed 700Cs. The frame would support them fine.

A while ago, I was thinking it would be cool to do all my speed work on my XC bike with road wheels. I tried sticking my road bike's front wheel in the fork, which is the tightest clearance on my bike, to see if it would fit. There's a lot of clearance with a 23mm tire. It's a little funky looking, but IMO not nearly as bad as 26" wheels with 1" slicks. The outside diameters of 700C wheels with road slicks and 26" wheels with knobbies are more similar than 700C with road slicks vs. 29er knobbies, so I actually think that on a disc build, 700C road wheels in a 26" frame are less wrong than in a 29er frame. You can also tweak the head angle of a hardtail frame with a shorter axle-crown fork if you want to to get a little lower bottom bracket and snappier, more "road" handling. It would take a seat post with a lot of setback to make things fit right for a lot of us at that point.

Didn't end up following through on that project. I didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a set of wheels when I already have a perfectly good road bike.
I agree. Particularly with the Some Groove, Rigid Soma fork. just go look at the pics. there is a TON of vertical space in there!

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
35,271 Posts
The On-One Pompetamine might be worth a look. It's got the crankset clearance, but the frame is designed around the Alfine IGH so you would only want to run a single ring, anyway. You can also run it SS (as I am).

·
Registered
3 Posts
29'er commuter choice

My choice was a Schlick Cycles Smitty. I opted for belt drive and in Alfine 8 as I ride this every day and WI winters are brutal on chains. Studs in the winter (700x38) and Big Apples 2.35's in the summer. It's a very versatile frame set made in the US of A by Tom Teesdale.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.