Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
The only thing I fing funny about the FAQs is the fact that in the mech. section no one mentions Shimano Deore mech brakes. They have been around just as long as Avid's I believe.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
I disagree. They are fine for what they are. And what do you mean by OEM? There are plenty of manufactures they deck out certain models with Avid BB7 brakes yet no one makes fun of those.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MarzocchiFork said:
Thats because they are OEM and suck donkeyballs.
You're highly misinformed dude.

There are the 456 (or something alike) which are plain OEM crap.

Then you have the Deore BR-M515-LA which is a piece of iron (it can easily outlast some suspension frames, I'm not kidding) but a very good brake indeed. Superb modulation, nice power and all that for less than 50 bux a wheel. They have the typical Shimano quality and superb manufacturing (stainless rotors, nice hardware, durable finishes, etc.)

It's still inferior to Avids. Period. But it's no crap at all. No sheit.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Kona0197 said:
The only thing I fing funny about the FAQs is the fact that in the mech. section no one mentions Shimano Deore mech brakes. They have been around just as long as Avid's I believe.
I'll assume you mean the "Cable Operated Brake" section when you say "mech section". The only time Avid are mentioned in that section is to do with that company's cable systems.

Avid is mentioned in the rest of the FAQ a few times as an illustration of a unique or outstanding feature. Name me ONE feature of the Shimano brakes that I could have used as an illustration of a "unique or outstanding feature"?

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
Sorry Mike I just find it funny that you mention the Hayes MX1 mech brakes and the Avid BB7 brakes but you don't mention the Shimano's. I can copy/paste here the section I am talking about if you wish. Matter of fact you mention almost every mech. brake but the Shimano's.

Warp2003 - I run the old style Deore 515 calipers - but I do have one 515 LA caliper. As soon as I'm get another I'll bolt on the LA version.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
Yes the 515s are underpowered. I can't lock them even if I wanted to and they don't stop the bike on a dime. But then again I'm not using deore levers and I'm not using the stock Deore rotors. I guess if I used the right rotors and some semi-metallic pads I guess I could stop better.

Or I could just find another 515-LA calpiper and install it... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.