Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some guide or tutorial on disc brakes, up until January I had an ancient rubbish old bike and I could do everything to it. In Jan I went and bought a specialized rockhopper disc 06. I have no idea where to start with adjusting or maintaining the brakes.

I had no problems until Sunday when I took a trip to a families house and had to store it in the shed, off came the front wheel and in it went. After that I have noticed the brakes are on a bit all the time. How do I fix this? MY friend says he has a plastic retainer for when he removes his wheel to stop it doing this but I don't have one yet.

The brakes are the standard avid juicy 5's that came with it.

I did post in the begineers corner as I figured it was a n00b question but they said to post in here.

Cheers

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You probably pulled the lever a bit which pushed the pistons out. Use a tire lever, pad spreader, or screwdriver to push the pistons back into their bores. Plop the wheel back in, and it should be good. If not, you'll have to recenter the caliper. There are two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter, and 2 that attach the adapter to the fork/frame. Loosen the two that attach the caliper to the adapter. Squeeze the lever, and then while holding the lever down, equally torque the 2 bolts back down a little bit at a time.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
The exact pressure exerted by the quick release can affect the centering of the caliper and the rotor. When I get a little rub after removing my front wheel I can sometimes get rid of the rub by tightening or loosening my front QR just a little bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.