Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered Avid Elixir R brakes (160mm rotors front and rear) and I'm not clear on whether I need to order adapters to install them.

The SID fork lower is post mount, and the rear triangle has an IS mount. Is this a standard configuration?

Do the brakes come with the mounts that I need, or do I need to order them seperately?

I don't have the exact part numbers, I just know that they were advertised as a set, one front and one rear, both with 160mm rotors.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I think I found about 2/3 of an answer. I found this pic:

...on Avid's web site. It would appear that the front caliper simply bolts directly to the post mounts (using the supplied hardware).

And this pic seems to indicate that an IS adapter mount specific to the rotor size is included:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If all Avid brakes are the same, my BB-7s came with the appropriate adapter for the IS mounts. I have a fork with IS tabs, and have had a fork with post mount, either is normal. When you install the rear, install the adapter to the frame first. Then install the caliper and adjust per avids instructions. There are some great tips on the brake forum about aligning avid calipers, there's also a video on youtube posted by avid. I have found that the business card method works the best. (was it highdell's post that described it in detail? I can't remember)

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the fork lowers on the Judy TT on her old bike (about a 2002 model year) has what appears to be IS tabs, so I was a little confused.

Do newer forks and bikes generally come with post or IS mounts up front?

·
Registered
126 Posts
RIS said:
Yeah, the fork lowers on the Judy TT on her old bike (about a 2002 model year) has what appears to be IS tabs, so I was a little confused.

Do newer forks and bikes generally come with post or IS mounts up front?
It varies from company to company. All Manitou's I've seen use post mount while other companies like Fox and Rockshox use both style depending on the fork. On the '10 RS's for example the Pike has IS, while the Revelation has Post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts