Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Shimano SM-MA-R180S/S disc brake adapter for my ~2006 Heckler.

However, it doesn't fit because the bottom tab on the Heckler has extra material that juts out and prevents the adapter from being seated properly.

Below is a picture of the rear disc brake tab on my bike with the adapter shown above superimposed.

Am I missing something here? Did I get the wrong part? I know Hecklers before ~06 or 07 didn't allow 8" rotors, but that shouldn't have anything to do with preventing adapters from being installed. As it was, it's a 7" (180mm) rotor I'm attempting to install, not an 8".

Anybody run into this issue? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
personally i think the extra material is there to make the bottle opener work....i.e., without the extra material, it wouldn't grab a beer cap correctly, so they had to add it....i personally have never used the bottle opener on my heckler.....prob never will.....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snobrder5 said:
personally i think the extra material is there to make the bottle opener work....i.e., without the extra material, it wouldn't grab a beer cap correctly, so they had to add it....i personally have never used the bottle opener on my heckler.....prob never will.....
Ahh, good point. Upon further inspection, I think you might be right.

Now how could Shimano not have predicted the possibility that a bike manufacturer might place a bottle opener on their dropouts when they designed these adapters?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Let us not forget that Shimano offers a few different widths to their adaptors. Can't tell you which model has what width but look around and you should be able to find one that fits. Also...instead of dremeling it get it properly faced with a facing tool, will save you a lot of greef

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
keen said:
I had an adapter for my post mount Hope's I had to file / grind to clear the bottle opener.
UPDATE: The bottle opener on my Heckler is on the disc brake mount side of the frame. I notice that on the new Hecklers that the bottle opener is on the drive side, and is part of the replaceable derailleur hanger. The rear disc brake mounts on the new Hecklers also do not have the protuberance that prevents one from installing a disc brake adapter. Out comes the Dremel...

Grinding on the adapter won't solve my issue. If I were to grind my adapter to make it fit, I'd eventually eat into the hole on the adapter.

At issue is the protuberance on the frame's disc brake tab to make the bottle opener work, as someone pointed out.

Santa Cruz Tech Support told me to find a Saint adapter (???). Shimano disc brake adapters are universal; they're not spec'ed to a model line, they're speced to rotor/mount type-you-currently-have to rotor/mount-type-you're-going-to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.