Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Performance Bike branded $20 pump that worked better... I got rid of this pump because the PSI was inaccurate, but the Joeblow won't air up tubeless tires like my cheap one did.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm about to take it back...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just bought one of those 3-4 months ago and it seems to work fine for me. The piston action is not as smooth as the old Blackburn pump that I finally wore out, but it works (for now).

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works great except for airing up tubeless tires... Not enough air volume going out I guess.

·
EDR
10,119 Posts
Try the JB Mountain if you want a floor pump for tubeless tires. Huge volume... low pressure.
The joblow pro is better suited for road bike tires....high pressure, low volume

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will have to be something performance bike carries.

I paid $100 for the JB Pro, not gonna go spend another $100ish for something else. Will be exchanging or accepting that I need to use my compressor for tubeless setups.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,663 Posts
If you are airing up tubeless tires, either you are using a UST/genuine tubeless setup, OR use an air-compressor and some sort of stans/ghetto tubeless setup. The air compressor is really where it's at though, due to how many variables there are.

Otherwise, a stupid cheap floor-pump from a department store works as well as most bicycle-shop "brand name" floor pumps in my experience. Higher end floor pumps are better of course, but again at that point you might as well have the compressor.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the same wheels/tires/valves/etc the cheap pump worked and the expensive one didn't. That's why I'm upset... I'm using a legit TLR wheel/tire combo and it worked with a floor cheap floor pump but now I have an expensive one I need to break out the compressor. Just a pain...

·
EDR
10,119 Posts
Using the same wheels/tires/valves/etc the cheap pump worked and the expensive one didn't. That's why I'm upset... ...
Why are you upset with the pump? You purchased a pump with the opposite needed specs of what you intended to use it for. Not the pumps fault. Do a tad of research and you'll see that a low pressure high volume pump is what you need. Topeak offers those, as well as others manufacturers. If you are pigeonholed into buying only from Performance then well....still not the pumps fault.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why are you upset with the pump? You purchased a pump with the opposite needed specs of what you intended to use it for. Not the pumps fault. Do a tad of research and you'll see that a low pressure high volume pump is what you need. Topeak offers those, as well as others manufacturers. If you are pigeonholed into buying only from Performance then well....still not the pumps fault.
Because in most other aspects of life, the high end model of any category does everything that low end models do and then some, ALSO specializing in their specific category. So, at that price point, it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't have to do a bunch of research when paying that much for a simple tool.

I feel like $100 for a floor pump should do EVERYTHING well. My damn compressor cost less than that!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Will have to be something performance bike carries.

I paid $100 for the JB Pro, not gonna go spend another $100ish for something else. Will be exchanging or accepting that I need to use my compressor for tubeless setups.
Good luck with performance bike... you could have picked up the Pro 2 for $20 cheaper from universalcycles.. and you could have gotten the Joe Blow Mountain (which is the pump you want for airing up mountain tires) for $40

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need it to get to 110-120psi for my road bike too so the mountain one won't work for me.

Am I the only one who thinks it's unreasonable to expect that a $100 pump does EVERYTHING that a $30 pump does and then some? Would seriously none of you be upset if you spent 3x as much and it did less than the cheap model?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What I don't understand is that if you are doing a lot of tubeless, and HAVE a compressor, what the hell do you need a floor pump for tubeless setup for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You bought the wrong pump. That's not something to be mad at the pump about. It's cool that your old pump did everything you needed it to, the new one probably works better for inflating road tires at the cost of not being useable for the niche purpose of seating tubeless tires.
Was it sold to you or labelled as being suitable for seating tubeless tires? If not, then I don't get why you're mad at the pump because an assumption you made turned out to be incorrect.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Principle/convenience.

1.) Convenience -- compressor means going out to the garage, getting the compressor out, waiting for it to fill up, getting the hose out, and using a floor pump to fine tune pressure anyway. It's extra steps that shouldn't be necessary.

2.) Principle -- I spent 3x as much to get something that works less well than what I had, honestly who wouldn't be less than thrilled about that?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You bought the wrong pump. That's not something to be mad at the pump about. It's cool that your old pump did everything you needed it to, the new one probably works better for inflating road tires at the cost of not being useable for the niche purpose of seating tubeless tires.
Was it sold to you or labelled as being suitable for seating tubeless tires? If not, then I don't get why you're mad at the pump because an assumption you made turned out to be incorrect.
Once again, because in all other aspects of consumer products, the high end/expensive product always does everything the cheap model does AND what it specializes in. Spending 3x as much money typically gets you out of having to research specific application and usability.

Seriously... would you buy an XTR drivetrain and think twice about it doing everything the Alivio drivetrain does? Why would it possibly do LESS?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you buy a Dura-Ace derailleur and expect it to work better on a mountain bike than SLX just because it costs more?
Excluding the shadow+ model SLX? Yes, yes I would. But not because of cost, because it's a more prestigious and reputable brand/model.

It's not like volume is exclusively beneficial to mountain bikes.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Wait what??? Both are Shimano....wow. *bangs head on wall*. couldn't help but make fun of this cause im a "noob" and know more.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait what??? Both are Shimano....wow. *bangs head on wall*. couldn't help but make fun of this cause im a "noob" and know more.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
My point exactly, are you that blind?

Imagine that Alivio is made by Walmart brand and XTR is made by a prestigious brand. Would you honestly not be upset that the crap store brand performed better than what is perceived as a quality brand when you shelled out extra for the good stuff?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts