Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just back from a 43 mile full moon gravel ride and read this. The bank thermometer said my I.Q. is -4. If memory serves me correctly, that's about 115 degrees cooler than it was when Guitar Ted and I rolled into Emporia last May...

I'll get one in mail in the a.m.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok, I live an hour from Emporia and have been thinking about doing the Dirty Kanza race (ride for me). I do quite a bit of road riding, done the Death Ride once, am I crazy for attempting 200 miles in the Flint Hills? I know we can finish half way through, but it would be nice to do 200 miles. How much experience have other DK racers had before doing their first 200 gravel road event. With registration now open it is time to make a decision. Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Experience

I started biking about 8 months before the race coming from a running background. I had trained for Trans Iowa and that was a mess with the weather so I went done to Kansas for some redemption. It was my second mountain bike race. I say you should sign up!

·
Registered
364 Posts
black cross said:
Ok, I live an hour from Emporia and have been thinking about doing the Dirty Kanza race (ride for me). I do quite a bit of road riding, done the Death Ride once, am I crazy for attempting 200 miles in the Flint Hills? I know we can finish half way through, but it would be nice to do 200 miles. How much experience have other DK racers had before doing their first 200 gravel road event. With registration now open it is time to make a decision. Thanks
Well, as the inaugural dfl finisher, (closest to the 20 hr cutoff) I feel uncomfortably qualified to answer any minimum qualification questions. I was also a TransIowa v2 flunkout. I've "raced" since late 70's but never really very seriously, and never more than 20 or so a year. The longest real race I'd ever done was 160k road race in the mid 1980's.I have done a double century on a road bike and several 'fire road bike tours' in Montana and Oregon. Luckily, as I've gotten older (mid 40's) and slower (and balder and fatter, since I'm airing it all out), I've also gotten more stubborn which seems to help with the distance thing. Prep-wise I'd done maybe 7 or 8 century plus days leading up to the event, maxxing out at 135 miles. The distances were about right between towns for DK1. Paul Jacobson mentioned this in the announcement thread. My biggest problem, other than the above mentioned short comings, was nutrional. Okay, what I did was eat a bunch of dried banana chips in the first portion of the course, then drained a 16 oz. coke and suffered several volumes worth of rather rapid expansion. Old, slow, bald, fat, stubborn and yes, apparently not that smart. Anyway, equilibrium came around 160 miles and a mountain dew and hostess fruit pie made it all better. Leg-wise I still had something left over; butt-wise I've made a saddle change since last year. Moral of my story, near as I can tell, prep well physically, figure out nutriton and stick with it, and know your gear.

The course was spectacular, the people great, and the event top notch.

dp

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, Black Cross...

... (and others out there considering a Dirty Kanza assault)...

If you have done the "Death Ride", you know the area, and therefore can imagine what you will be in for. My own personal (failed) attempt at last year's event, and watching & learning from other fellow participants, showed me it is more about knowing your limits and pacing yourself than about anything else. If you can complete a gravel road century... and if you take care of yourself and pace yourself throughout the ride, you should be OK.

I will echo what David (bd.sahib) says..."prep well physically, figure out nutriton and stick with it, and know your gear."

But for everyone considering a first Dirty Kanza attempt, I will add the following... Have someone with you that can come get you if you have trouble. This is an un-supported ride. We do not have the man-power to come pick you up. We WON"T come pick you up. You are responsible for you. I can not stress this enough. Last year we had guys calling us at 11:30pm from 40 miles out wanting a ride back to Emporia. Please come... but please come prepared.

Hope to see you in Emporia on May 19th.

Jim Cummins
Dirty Kanza Co-Founder / Co-Promoter

ps: And don't let David fool you. He is MUCH too modest. He may have been the last finisher... but he did finished. Which is something that over 60% of the starters couldn't do. And none of the other finishers got hit by a car just four blocks from the finish line. Way to go David!!!

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Riders' Bible is now available.

The Dirty Kanza "Riders' Bible" is now available on the Heartland Promotions website.

http://www.heartlandrace.com/

I would encourage all participants, and anyone considering this event to read this in its entirety. It will help explain what you are in for, and will help you prepare for this undertaking.

Jim C.

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cut-Off Times & GPS...

Cut-Off times at each of the three checkpoints will be established based on an average speed of 10mph. This seemed to work well last year. The idea here is more a rider-safety issue than anything else. Our thinking is that if someone has dropped down to below 10mph, he/she should probably call it a day, rather than be allowed to go back out for another 50-mile unsupported stretch.

As far as the "No GPS Rule".... we don't want anyone using a GPS system for navigational purposes. That kinda defeats the whole self-sufficiency aspect of the event. However, if you have a Garmin-type computer, and all you are doing is recording your ride data, we aren't going to have an issue with that. Just remember... it's kinda hard to brag to all of your bench-racing buddies with some wild fish story, if the hard data proves otherwise. :D

Good luck with your pre-event preparations.
Hope to see you in May.

Jim C.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.