Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the "Official Thread" for the 2009 running of The Dirty Kanza 200. Post your comments and questions here. Registration will open tomorrow, Sunday, 01-11-09 at 8:00am CST. Field limit has been increased this year to a total of 100 participants. We anticipate filling up in short order. Joel and I have a new course in store for you. Don't miss out.

Go here for the event website and for all the latest info...

http://www.heartlandrace.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Here's hoping to see you all in Emporia on Saturday, May 30th.
Jim C.

Attachments

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My apologies to everyone who has had trouble finding the registration page this morning. For some reason, the link did not appear on our home website this morning at 8:00 as scheduled. The problem has been corrected, and registration is open.

A big "thank you" to Josh for steering folks in the right direction in his reply above.

Again... sorry for the problems this morning. See you all on May 30th.

Jim C.

·
upgrade until you suck
190 Posts
I'm in. Time to get into shape bigtime!

EDIT: a question - I understand that GPS devices are not allowed, however, what about the Edge 305? It is only useful for recording where you've been, and not really possible to navigate with the thing. Is that banned as well, even though it's just a data recorder?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
APSBiker said:
I'm in. Time to get into shape bigtime!

EDIT: a question - I understand that GPS devices are not allowed, however, what about the Edge 305? It is only useful for recording where you've been, and not really possible to navigate with the thing. Is that banned as well, even though it's just a data recorder?
I'm not sure what Jim and the boys will say, but as far as Trans Iowa is concerned, we just tell the guys to throw the gps in their rucksacks and record away.

The idea is that a GPS could be set up to allow for an advantage. The area where Dirty Kanza is held has few roads. It wouldn't take much for a competitor to "plan" ahead with efforts and nutrition if they could "see" what's coming up. I understand the rational, but I also understand getting a "picture" of what you've done for a souvenir, or to guage future efforts, and to use that as a learning tool.

It is the promoters call, of course, so they have the say, but I can not see a problem with what you want to do.

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Josh,
Thanks for setting up the Facebook page.

But, just how far did you get in math? 100 - 76 = 24... not 14.

In any event, if you are not signed up you better hurry. Even 24 spots won't last long.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think the section that I remember most was the one about 110 or 115 miles in, we turned off of the main gravel road, and the road went from gravel, to dirt to two tire tracks in grass down a hill, to some god awful section of road filled in with what I recall looking like a mix of 4 - 6 rocks and dirt. From there it turned into a wash across bed rock and then took us across Coyote Branch creek 3 or 4 times. We then turned left and went immediately up a big hill and into a section of big rollers after that.

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve,
I know exactly the section you are referring to. You should have been riding with us the day we found that stretch of road. By the looks on everyone's face, you would have thought we were all young kids on Christmas morning. Eyes as big as saucers, and grins from ear-to-ear. We won't be using that stretch in 2009. But you can bet it will be used again. However, we do have some sweet new stuff to show you. ;)

Jim C.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.