Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
iMMature said:
Thanks, I rode it last week but wondered what the mileage was. That hill on Coalton still sucks, however. I wish they would have put in a cutoff trail over to the top of Coalton.
weird, i'll take 10 of that hill rather than that lame gravel crap they used to "pave" the northern section of the trail...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
This is cool.

I never thought I see the day when this actually happened. I've been riding in that area since the late-80's, back when the Coalton Trail from 128 to McCaslin was still actually a potholed and rutted county dirt road, and before Rock Creek, Costco/Target or any of that stuff was there. Back then you could do the entire Morgul road loop without seeing a stoplight or a subdivision, the spot where the trailhead at the corner of 93 and Marshall is at was a restaurant and liquor store, and Marshall intersected McCaslin with a stop sign behind where Chuck E Cheese now is located. I used to ride Coalton from 128 to where Interlocken now is on my cross bike. There was a gun club where the Wal Mart now sits, and there were some very cool houses with lots of acreage out there. The development of that area is the perfect example of progress steamrolling people's dream houses. Several of the people out there held out but were eventually condemned and screwed out of the houses they put their souls into.

If you look at the positive though, think of all the places you now ride, and imagine how they could change in 25 years.

The biggest changes out in that area in the next 25 years are going to be driven by the silly tollway and all the development that is planned along highway 93. But, if you look at the possibilities, *maybe* Rocky Flats will actually be opened (there is some great terrain in there), and *maybe* we could see a dirt trail from Boulder all the way to Golden. There are only two pieces of private land totaling less than 1/2 mile preventing Dowdy Draw from being connected to White Ranch. If Boulder would actually allow the connector, and those two pieces could be negotiated, you could ride from Boulder to Golden without ever riding on pavement other than crossing a couple of roads.

That would be cool.

·
Registered
781 Posts
honkinunit said:
This is cool.

I never thought I see the day when this actually happened. I've been riding in that area since the late-80's, back when the Coalton Trail from 128 to McCaslin was still actually a potholed and rutted county dirt road, and before Rock Creek, Costco/Target or any of that stuff was there. Back then you could do the entire Morgul road loop without seeing a stoplight or a subdivision, the spot where the trailhead at the corner of 93 and Marshall is at was a restaurant and liquor store, and Marshall intersected McCaslin with a stop sign behind where Chuck E Cheese now is located. I used to ride Coalton from 128 to where Interlocken now is on my cross bike. There was a gun club where the Wal Mart now sits, and there were some very cool houses with lots of acreage out there. The development of that area is the perfect example of progress steamrolling people's dream houses. Several of the people out there held out but were eventually condemned and screwed out of the houses they put their souls into.

If you look at the positive though, think of all the places you now ride, and imagine how they could change in 25 years.

The biggest changes out in that area in the next 25 years are going to be driven by the silly tollway and all the development that is planned along highway 93. But, if you look at the possibilities, *maybe* Rocky Flats will actually be opened (there is some great terrain in there), and *maybe* we could see a dirt trail from Boulder all the way to Golden. There are only two pieces of private land totaling less than 1/2 mile preventing Dowdy Draw from being connected to White Ranch. If Boulder would actually allow the connector, and those two pieces could be negotiated, you could ride from Boulder to Golden without ever riding on pavement other than crossing a couple of roads.

That would be cool.
Cool history.

I had no idea that there was so much potential for Golden-Boulder trail to actually be a reality. That would be amazingly cool!

Also this new connector trail is great! I love being able to do a full loop on dirt there!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
honkinunit said:
The biggest changes out in that area in the next 25 years are going to be driven by the silly tollway and all the development that is planned along highway 93. .
I hope I'm still riding in 25 years and hopefully the tollway won't matter because we will have moved to something beyond oil (because it will have peaked and in decline = really expensive) and needing to drive our millions of cars around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.