Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Displaced Southerner
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey your pics were amazing. Truly sorry that you have to put up with that each day...my heart really goes out to you.

I don't want to make you jealous, so I won't post the pics of the warehouses and sewage that I get to ride through on my commute...

Monday's ride really took the cake though. I was riding in, enjoying the morning and the beautiful day. I had the usual SUV-driving soccer moms honk at me, but it went to a new level on Monday. She passes me going opposite directions and honks with fist in the air...I wave...maybe she's cheering me on! Alas, I find that is not the case when 10 miles down the road there she is again. She proceeds to pull off onto the shoulder and pass me a few times, yelling "GET OUTTA THU ROAD!!!!" Each time, I wave, using great self control to remember to wave using all fingers. Finally, she pulls over on the shoulder with her driver side window down, and I get excited! I think we are finally going to get to "chat". I roll up to the window and she's screaming into her cell phone that "SOME GIRL IS RIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! SHE'S GOING TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT!!!!" I let her know that I was NOT riding in the middle of the road...

Who, might you ask, was she on the phone with? 911. Yep, you got it. The police. I rolled away, laughing at her, saying "See ya tomorrow!"

Seriously Dirtcrab, not trying to make you jealous here...I just wanted you to know that others of us share in your struggles. :p

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yikes!

Some people need anger management help.

One time I was rollerskiing (xc ski training on roads with 2-wheeled devices) (sorry it's not bicycling, but close) up the side of a lightly-used road, entirely to the right of the white line signifying the shoulder, when a creepy man in a van headed in the opposite direction pulled up next to me and said, "You are so discourteous." That was it, and he drove away. I tried to get myself out of there as fast as possible, but now I find it pretty funny. Never did figure out why using the shoulder of a public road was discourteous.

Anyway, best wishes for a safe commute next time. Perhaps if she does it again you can call the police and get a restraining order against her for threatening you with a deadly weapon (the SUV, that is)?

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
My commute aint so hot either

It is through neighborhoods at first and then there are several other machine/chemical plants near the one I work at. 18 wheelers go by and honk at you (hopefully cheering me on but....yeah) on this little back road, strange steam rising from the drain with a funky odor, etc.
Now that there is more day light I have been going to parks after work instead of getting my miles by commuting.

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
moonbeam said:
Seriously Dirtcrab, not trying to make you jealous here...I just wanted you to know that others of us share in your struggles. :p
That story is too funny. I don't worry too much about the cars and SUV's around here. The rudest people I've run into, without question, are the surfers along the 101 at the beach. On more than one occassion I've had to swerve out of the way of some idiot holding his surfboard which is stretching a few feet into the bike lane. They also frequently yell rude things as you ride by and even when they are driving by you in their trucks (with surfboards spilling out of the tailgate).

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
my favorite soccer mom story...

i was on a group ride. there were maybe 20 of us in a double paceline on a low traffic 2-lane, country road. from behind us we hear someone leaning on their horn starting about 1/4 mile away from us. you can see clearly down the road and around us. there is absolutely no other traffic and we are within our legal rights on the road. the car approaches us with horn blasting the entire time. just barely missing the tail end of our paceline the car swerves around us, passes the group (horn still blaring), and then cuts back into our lane so tightly that the first 4 people in the group (myself included) have to swerve off the road to avoid getting hit.

the car continues past, the driver (a woman) has one hand on the horn and the other giving us the one finger salute through her sun roof (good thing the road was fairly straight since otherwise i dont' know how she was stearing....maybe with her knee?!). but the best part was she had her child in the back seat!!!! talk about setting an example.

we got her license plate number & called the cops on her. :p

rt

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great Commuter Story!

moonbeam said:
Hey your pics were amazing. Truly sorry that you have to put up with that each day...my heart really goes out to you.

I don't want to make you jealous, so I won't post the pics of the warehouses and sewage that I get to ride through on my commute...

Monday's ride really took the cake though. I was riding in, enjoying the morning and the beautiful day. I had the usual SUV-driving soccer moms honk at me, but it went to a new level on Monday. She passes me going opposite directions and honks with fist in the air...I wave...maybe she's cheering me on! Alas, I find that is not the case when 10 miles down the road there she is again. She proceeds to pull off onto the shoulder and pass me a few times, yelling "GET OUTTA THU ROAD!!!!" Each time, I wave, using great self control to remember to wave using all fingers. Finally, she pulls over on the shoulder with her driver side window down, and I get excited! I think we are finally going to get to "chat". I roll up to the window and she's screaming into her cell phone that "SOME GIRL IS RIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! SHE'S GOING TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT!!!!" I let her know that I was NOT riding in the middle of the road...

Who, might you ask, was she on the phone with? 911. Yep, you got it. The police. I rolled away, laughing at her, saying "See ya tomorrow!"

That's the best one I've heard in a while! Even beats the stories from RBR.com commuter page.
Thanks for making my day, always love the folks with no idea how wide their cars are, I take up about 24 inches of roadway, they seem to think they can't get by me in their Civic, Camry whatever.. So they hang back and beep.
Be Safe out there!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Well, I also had some story...

The other day I went on a group ride, where we had to ride to the trailhead. We were aroung 25 bikers.

This beetle came up, and, I think they (driver and passenger) only saw the stranglers, so they started honking and making funny hand waves. They continued, I think that's when they saw the full group. They had to stop a little bit up the road, when they got out of the car and watched us aproach them, they went veerrryyyy quiet and polite......

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
[email protected]#[email protected]! Drivers....

We were on a road ride last week between two towns. They had replaced an underground water pipe during the day, so the road was wet, bumpy, muddy and also had those wonderful metal plates covering a large hole in the road. Motorists in front of us were slowing completly through this section of road.

I was pulling at that point, then another rider, and then my 6'2", 205 lb hubby. The car behind us starting honking at us, even though we were traveling at the SAME SPEED as the cars in front of us. On the second round of honking, hubby stopped in the middle of the road and had some words with the driver. The driver was funny - told hubby that he was a cop!!!!

Here in New England, the roads are typically narrow, and are worse right now with sand and potholes. The drivers don't seem to know that skinny tires hitting pot hole at 20+mph is a recipie for disaster....

SheFly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.