Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some more information on these kind of bikes. I like their looks and I think they are easier to control since they are smaller. Are they usually singlespeeders? Can you use them on medium off road 3-4 hour rides?

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,028 Posts
Mountain bikes are built for off-road use, there are many different types of bikes each designed to perform well in specific situations. There are fully rigid bikes, hardtails, soft tails, full suspension, single speeds, 27 speed, 18 speed, 1*9, 26 inch wheel bikes (standard), 29 inch wheel bikes, 69ers, ... There is so much information that you need to be more specific. What will you be using the bike for? What types of trails will you ride? Will you be doing any stunts? How big/small are you?

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,028 Posts
That is a dirt jumping frame. It will be strong but not ideal for trail riding. Sounds like you want an all mountain hardtail. It will climb and handle well like a cross country bike, but it is stronger than a cross country bike. At 5'7" you will probably need a medium size frame (approx. 17in.). Something like the Jamis Komodo (more FR but still good), a DMR Trailstar, Santa Cruz Chameleon, or a Marin B-17. These are just some examples of some trail capable hardtail bikes, I would recommend riding some AM hardtails and get one that feels good. My brother rides trails on a Dirt jump bike and he notices the disadvantages in climbing and handling on the trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.