Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the stp build held up... this was my first time hitting any sort of dj on this bike, ive hit those jumps on my xc full suspension bike but it just a completly different feel.

Any tips of suggestions?

Im the ride in black, and my friend (whose first time it was as well is in white)...

here is a video

http://vholdr.com/videoPlayer/embedPlayer.swf

·
Registered
229 Posts
Those jumps look cool, did you guys build them? Anyway, my only suggestion would be to start digging out the middle of your existing jumps. You may end up doing the same size jumps, but they will be way more scarey (e.g. fun). You will also be forced to clear the lips and deal with casing; all the DJ stuff in my area is doubles, its very intimidating, but the jumps look way bigger on doubles than on tabletops, and your stoke goes up due to the fear factor.

·
Registered
916 Posts
man that place looks fun. The second clip looks like you're more comfortable. Once you start getting more confidence you'll loosen up more which is needed. So the only tip I have is keep riding as much as possible.

·
Registered
666 Posts
dytrdr5 said:
yeah I miss Santos a lot now, there is nothing like that out here in Houston.
Hmmmm, yeah, nothing nearly that good in HTX. But do you know how to fix your case damage, work a shovel and stack some dirt, stay off wet trails, etc...? If so, look harder. :thumbsup:

Otherwise...nothing to see here, move along. :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
WaveDude said:
Hmmmm, yeah, nothing nearly that good in HTX. But do you know how to fix your case damage, work a shovel and stack some dirt, stay off wet trails, etc...? If so, look harder. :thumbsup:

Ha ha!!! that's what i was gonna say, but didnt want to speak up till u did. listen to wavedude.

Anyone who complains or comments about "nothing to ride in my town" just doesn't it. GO BUILD IT. DIY = Do It Yourself. . . . . or . . . . communicate your willingness to put in sweat time with others who already have spots and maybe doors will open.

·
Registered
96 Posts
WaveDude said:

I have never mind giving a helping hand to build trails, either with sweat and/or money for dirt. From what I have gathered here in Houston building on trails is a big no no and Ghorba would just close that trail down. The only place that I have heard but not have had a chance to ride because of the rain is the bowl out at Hershey park. If you or anyone else knows of any better place to ride than by all means please let me know.

On a side note it doesn't matter how much money, sweat, and effort is put into anything here in the greater Houston area, it doesn't have the elevation and terrain that Santos has to offer. People always put Florida on the bottom of mountain biking trails, but Santos, Markham park, what used to be the TOE, and oleta are amazing trails that rival a lot of other trails I have ridden here so far.

·
Registered
666 Posts
GHORBA has NEVER shut down a trail. Every trail closure to date has come from the City or County parks dept. GHORBA has worked for years to keep the MTB trails open and has helped start a few new ones. Unfortunately, it's all beginner, intermediate, XC trails and no freeride, DJ stuff. Jack Brooks and Sugarland have a few TTFs but no true jumps or pump tracks. GHORBA is trying and get an official pump-n-jump track going. But dealing with the city/county is a royal pain due to all the politics. There's tons of open parkland but it's easier for them to say NO than yes. So I let them deal with that but have my shovel shapended for when the get the OK. There are some people in the parks dept that actually recognize we need some places to ride. So until that day comes, DIY (just choose your spot wisely). And, as always, post directions when you're done. :)

P.S. GHORBA is looking for a freeride coordinator. You wanna' step up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been watching the whole freeride park skill area thread on Ghorba.org, it kind of reminds me of Quiet waters park in south Florida where it took about 2 years for the city to give the park the go ahead and build a freeride area. Trust me I would love to do some work and help build some cool stuff, right now I feel like I have two bikes that are just a waste. I really don't know where some of the secret areas are around here but hopefully if the weather settles down a bit I would like to check out the bowl at Hershey park this weekend.

From some threads that I read the trail stewards really advice against building any non sanction obstacles or as they call it trail features on existing trails. I think that the Sugar land trail has potential, so far its been a little fun trail. Then there is that little pump track/jump trail in sugar land, I spoke with some people about working on those jumps and building up the lips and I was told just don't do it its a waste of time as the park rangers would just round off any lip that was built.

I guess if you guys need help maintaining, money or just want to show me some of the good spots here, besides what is posted on mtbr trail review than that would be gladly appreciated. I also have a nice military tri-fold shovel that needs to be put to good use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts