Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need ur help fellas...

yesturday i went djing and for some god dam reason i couldnt get any air off anything... my fork is very very soft... if i stiffen it up will that improve the geometry?

it was weird cuz i can aways get soo much air if its just like a huk or something... but when i go to do DJ i just roll over the jump and get hardly any air...

also u know when u see like ladders that u drop off of and land on a tranny, are peopel just manualing off them or do they bunny hop or just go super fast and roll off and just pull up the handle bars?

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
stiffening the fork might help...but you probably also just need to practice on these jumps more. People think that just because they've mastered one set of dj's that they've mastered them all. All dirt jumps are not created equal. Some are just really poorly made, and you can't get any air off of them.

As for the skinny thing...most people just bomb off (speed and pulling up) unless it's a really low-speed manuever, and then they might wheelie it. You just do whatever gets you off the bridge and onto the tranny safely

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do tehy keep the wheel straight at that hig a speed though? i always seem to fall off the side of those damn things lol unless its a teetor for some reason i can do those...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can only say what works for me...I think speed helps keep you moving straight. I'm not saying go as fast as you possibly can or anything (usually the tranny is not so far from the end of the skinny that you need tons of speed, just enough so your front wheel doesnt want to drop), but when I first get onto a skinny and I'm going slow, its way more of a balancing act than once I get moving a little quicker. I'm sure someone that knows physics can attribute it to inertia or the gyroscopic forces of the wheels...

The one thing that someone told me that really helped me get better at skinnies was to focus 6 to 10 feet in front of your front wheel on a point on the skinny and NEVER look at the ground or think about falling off. Just relax and look where you want to go, and things just seem to work out. Everyone says it but its true that practicing on a 1 foot high 6 inch wide skinny until its easy will do wonders when you decide to go higher up.

Good luck.

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would u guys suggest that i build a small skinny out of wood and practise on that cuz i have to ride for like 30 minutes to get tot eh traisl and 45 to get back

all up hill on the way back... ;)

i guess what u guys are kinda sayin is dont blame the equipment just go practise!!! i still think that my fork is way too soft... needs some air!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very good point about looking ahead. I do this all the time when riding on a balance beam like object. Its like driving a car... you don't stare at the hood you look ahead adn the car goes that way. If you look at a gymnist they don't stare at the beam they keep their head up and look ahead. Going in stright lines on a skinny and looking ahead is alot easier then staring at your front wheel. Keeping up speed is easier too because the wheels rotating will help your bike stay up (but not soo fast you fly off). The only time i look at my front wheel is around a very sharp slow corner on a log ride or something of that nature and its only for a split second... other than that i look usually way ahead.

For going off high stuff... I don't have any advice for a dual suspension bike (i think saw your bike in another thread) other than go stright, alittle faster, and pull on the handle bars, and try to stick the landing. If you can wheelie off of it (i donno if thats possible with a dual) i usually just do that off of slower type situtations.

NCBigHit said:
The one thing that someone told me that really helped me get better at skinnies was to focus 6 to 10 feet in front of your front wheel on a point on the skinny and NEVER look at the ground or think about falling off. Just relax and look where you want to go, and things just seem to work out. Everyone says it but its true that practicing on a 1 foot high 6 inch wide skinny until its easy will do wonders when you decide to go higher up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
oh as far as the dirt jumps go. you might just be riding jumps that have had their lips rounded out alot (ie worn down or crapply made or people are wussy and got scared and halfway knocked them down). that might make you not "pop" off the lip of the launch and just sorta lob over instead.

However, my buddy has a bad habit of going off of jumps with the correct amount of speed but leveling out too soon. He sometimes pushes the handle bars forward and flys forward instead of up. its kind of weird to watch because i don't really know how he does it or explain it. we could approach the same jump at the same speed and i'd go up much higher and then land but he would go over with a much flatter path.

My suggestion is let the jump do the work for you. just get up to speed and launch. then at the moment you feel like your falling level out and get ready for the decent. DJ is sort of a mystery to me... i just do it and have crashed alot learning. Also you learn one set and you might not be able to do another (even if they are smaller and "easier"). Personally i find the larger jumps alot easier since you have more time to set up in the air, but then again its alot more dangerous too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
finchy said:
would u guys suggest that i build a small skinny out of wood and practise on that cuz i have to ride for like 30 minutes to get tot eh traisl and 45 to get back
You could build a small practice skinny, or just ride curbs and brick walls and stuff. You'd amazed how many skinny-like things you can find if you look around. If you can ride down the block on a curb, you'll do well on skinnies...Its all about practicing those little weight adjustments...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
finchy said:
how do tehy keep the wheel straight at that hig a speed though? i always seem to fall off the side of those damn things lol unless its a teetor for some reason i can do those...
hey Finchy, you've gotten some good advice on skinnies already - i.e. looking ahead and keeping some speed up - another thing that I find helps a lot, is just a little rear brake, dragging the whole time - this is especially helpful if you are climbing on a skinny, the drag seems to keep you a little straighter...

for the dirt jumps, try crouching (compressing your body - bent knees & bent elbows) a little as you start up the take-off - push down the fork a bit (pre-load) and then extend your body off the lip ("spring") - this will help gain height - in order to get a nice arc and come down on the tranny (instead of a sort of flat travel) - allow your feet to come up at the top of your arc - the backend of the bike will come up and your nose will point down....

btw - stiffen you fork a bit & jump with flat pedals rather than clipless if you aren't already...also not a bad idea when you are learning to jump (or learning to jump some NEW jumps) - to wear a full-face helmet - don't wanna case the jump wit yo face!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good point about draggin the brakes...forgot about that. I use my front brake though...does that make me a bad person?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
NCBigHit said:
Good point about draggin the brakes...forgot about that. I use my front brake though...does that make me a bad person?
yes, you are not only a bad person for this, you are neither "gnar" or "Shore" brah - please go ride some skinnies, drag your rear brake & bust some phat drops so we can change your "gnar" status

thank you, that is all..

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...

I shall immediately go remove the offending front brake and commence with the black diamond extreme jibbing to make up for past sins...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
NCBigHit said:
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...

I shall immediately go remove the offending front brake and commence with the black diamond extreme jibbing to make up for past sins...
sell the house, sell the kids, buy an Evil and proceed to jib everything in sight....you'll be fine...

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
This works every time for every sort of double....just ride beside them...no problems

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Have you tried pumping at all in the djs? Spoken from someone whos never dj'd on anything but a FS bike ::embarassed:: you just go straight off if you dont try to pump in at all. So.... incase you dont know how to pump into the lips when you're riding up to it, as soon as you get onto the lip compress your suspension front and back and then immediately unload it and pull up. At that point you should be at the point of the lip where you're going to jump anyways. Not sure if that's actually how its done 100% but its what works for me....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
finchy said:
i need ur help fellas...

yesturday i went djing and for some god dam reason i couldnt get any air off anything... my fork is very very soft... if i stiffen it up will that improve the geometry?

it was weird cuz i can aways get soo much air if its just like a huk or something... but when i go to do DJ i just roll over the jump and get hardly any air...

also u know when u see like ladders that u drop off of and land on a tranny, are peopel just manualing off them or do they bunny hop or just go super fast and roll off and just pull up the handle bars?
at first i read your post and assumed you were hitting doubles. but here is what i think since you give hardly any information:
1. since your probably having this problem on a small roller or table, i bet your approach speed is wrong compared to your timing. tell us whats wrong. are you casing the jump? are you going long? "just roll over" sounds like too slow to me. go back to basics and master approach speed.
2. learn to preload like the above post says. i can tell by your last paragraph that you lack confidence leaving the lip. just learn to ride neutral in the cockpit, let the bike fly with a little flick of preload (think pedals and push on them) and learn to pump in midair to control your flight.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
dude...

i think ur thinking about it to much...and the fact ur asking us about it proves it...when u think to much about summin...u for eg with the DJ wont do as well as if...u just did it (withot thinking) and tryed to regain or improve ur technique...keep DJing...but dont think about it...ride the jump...then get the feel for what ur doing and then think about what you think needs to be improved and then improve or adjust ur technique to achieve what you want to fix...speed...preload...stance...style and technique all come into it...

and when DJing...your suspension needs to be hard and bounce back hard and fast...adjust ur shocks...i found that out like 2 years ago...i was going as hard as i could at a 5' ft step up and was only just clearing it...then i adjusted my suspension...and then over cleared it by about 4' ft and got about an extra 4' ft off what i was getting before...of course i stacked but...u know sh>it happens...so yeh i learnt summin that day...and seems as you said ur sups was soft then change it and you should notidce a differene instantly (hence the reason behind DJ forks being stiff)...

dunno if this will help u but report back later and lets us know if uve impored ur technique and adjusted ur susp...

(u sure u wont drinking shrimoff ice and baileys before u rode)

·
Registered
181 Posts
even if he was drinking smirnoff ice and baileys it wouldnt have affected him cuz you cant get drunk off of it :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts