Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up my 93 Diamondback Overdrive with the Origin 8 Gary bars, and I have everything pretty much set, except for the the shifter mounts.

I have a set of XT thumbies that I want to use. I have an old set of Suntour thumbies that have the perch shown in the pic below, and I have machined a plate similar to the one below to fit the XT thumbies. My only ? is where did the 23.5 mm clamp bands come from that were used with these and the WTB Multi-Mounts? My suntours have a 22.2 band (obviously), and I found a pair of cheap diacompe 23.5 bands, but even after lots of grinding, I can't seem to get them to clamp down on the bar, no matter how much I tighten them down.:confused:

Anyone have any tips or ideas, so I can get this up and running? My first thought was just SS it, so I did until l figure out the shifters, but I would really like to run it geared.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered...

about modifying the 22.2, but how? Did you just open them up and use a longer bolt?

I measured and the difference in the bar diameter and the clamp diameter on the 23.5 bands I have is 1.3mm, about 1/8" so that means a shim that is 1/16", thats a lot of shim!

Thanks for the replies.

frog

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
1 cog frog said:
about modifying the 22.2, but how? Did you just open them up and use a longer bolt?

I measured and the difference in the bar diameter and the clamp diameter on the 23.5 bands I have is 1.3mm, about 1/8" so that means a shim that is 1/16", thats a lot of shim!

Thanks for the replies.

frog
yeah, I think a longer bolt, filing the radius a bit on the aluminum perch and lastly filing out the hole on the steel band a bit. A little massaging on each should to the trick.

EDIT: may have actually been a shorter bolt. It's been a long time. The key is to mod the two other pieces slightly and then use a bolt that works.

Also, will M730 shifters fit on those mounts? Those were made for XT Rapidfire.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ones in the pic were made for rapidfire, but I machined my own to fit the pins in the bottom of my XT's. There is one small issue I just realized, I need a cable stop for the housing coming into the shifter, but that is easy to fix.

The CAD model of what I made is below. I will post pics when I get it all finished, thanks again for the help, you all rock!

frog

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
1 cog frog said:
The ones in the pic were made for rapidfire, but I machined my own to fit the pins in the bottom of my XT's. There is one small issue I just realized, I need a cable stop for the housing coming into the shifter, but that is easy to fix.

The CAD model of what I made is below. I will post pics when I get it all finished, thanks again for the help, you all rock!

frog
happy to help a guy with Tomac, 'Ham, roller cam, and WOMBAT stuff on his wall. ;)

Keep us posted on what you work out for the cable stop.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Credit where credit is due...

The pics in the 1st post I pulled off this forum, just used them to get an idea of what I was trying to make. Sorry for the confusion.

I wish I already had a set of original WTB bars! l will post updated pics of the mount and the finished bike when I get it all set up. I love this forum, the wealth of info amassed here is amazing! Again thanks for your help

·
Registered
508 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
happy to help a guy with Tomac, 'Ham, roller cam, and WOMBAT stuff on his wall. ;)

HEY! what's up DL, that's my basement from about 5 years ago!

The shifter adapters that are pictured are meant to be run with XT/XTR rapid fire from the
M900/901 days, not thumbshifters.

proceed.
nate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.